Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's worse?

A buddy of mine has missed 2 deer from his lower cam and/or limb hitting the climber hand rail.

I've never had this happen, but have considered it, so I've been able to avoid it. However, this evening I missed the same doe, twice. :smiley_depressive:

I've been shooting fixed blade broadheads for years, without flight problems. When I shot these (Muzzy MX3) they hit the SPI as my field tips, at all yardages. However, when a fixed blade broadhead doesn't fly to the SPI as my field tips they've always hit low by 6" or more...at any given yardage. Despite previous testing, I would have to say that's what happened this evening. :smiley_chinrub:

I'll be switching to a different broadhead...a previously proven broadhead. :smiley_bril:

What's worse? It doesn't matter...a miss is a miss. Suck it up, correct the problem and keep moving. :smiley_blink:
Just thought I'd share the "human side" of bowhunting. :smiley_blackeye:

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Missing deer sucks. 9 times out of 10 it's a result of not paying attention to the "little things." Funny, because Curran started a thread about this earlier today. In the heat of the moment, it's easy to let the little details slip past you.

About your miss, though... I don't understand why you think you're broadhead caused you to miss low. If they were hitting with FP's during practice why would that change all of a sudden? :smiley_chinrub:

whack

I'm with jbrown. Why the sudden change in poi? Sometimes we just screw up with nothing to blame but ourselves. Yes missing sucks but better than hit and lose. Gotta stay positive

I'll be retesting them tomorrow, but until then they're outta here. I'm with you guys, I'd still like to know what happened and/or what changed, myself. I'll get to the bottom of this and get back to you guys.

I put 2 Shockwave and 2 Rage broadheads in my quiver, until I figure out what's going on with the MX3s. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

I shot my bow this morning and I don't know what happened on my original testing of the MX3s, but they're not hitting the same point of impact as my field tips. I've switched back to some mechanicals, for now and will do some more broadhead research later. A friend of mine is shooting some Rockets and has taken some very nice deer with them, so that may be my next broadhead of choice. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Missing deer sucks. 9 times out of 10 it's a result of not paying attention to the "little things." Funny, because Curran started a thread about this earlier today. In the heat of the moment, it's easy to let the little details slip past you.

About your miss, though... I don't understand why you think you're broadhead caused you to miss low. If they were hitting with FP's during practice why would that change all of a sudden? :smiley_chinrub:

Agreed

holterross

I would start with your sight to make sure all the set screws are still nice and tight, also if shooting a peep make sure it hasnt moved, Im sure you have thought of all of this but like others have said the sudden change makes no sense. Also I would recommend the NAP Bloodrunners. I have been using them for the last couple of years and all tracks have been under 100 yds. Hope you get it figured out.