Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Skunked...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Damn it.

I was really fired up for the past few days, anxiously awaiting today to come. I had hung a new set about 60 yds from another set, fine-tuning my ambush, if you will. I've hunted the creek crossing stand several times and have seen countless deer funnel through this other spot.

So today arrives... weather and wind is perfect... I settle into my stand early...

and fuggin sit until noon-thirty without seeing a single deer. :smiley_blackeye: Man I hate days like this.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
All part of it man. I know getting skunked sucks. It always makes me second guess myself..until I go out the next time and see 8+ deer or a shooter. I feel ya tho man. You can't control the deer.

dangerousoldman

I sat in stand from 630 until 1040 when a small doe came trotting thru. I was gonna put her in my freezer but couldnt get on her quickly enough and she trotted out into a weedfield and stopped about 65 yards from me. I thought what the heck and tried a doe bleat to see if she would come back and investigate it. When I bleated a damn nice 8 pointer jumped out of a small honeysuckle thicket about 25 yards from me and trotted off acroos the field....had to laff I guess....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang JB! I know it sucks man, I got skunked about 3 times this season myself. Just keep grinding it out buddy, it could change in a hurry. Try to stay positive and enjoy yourself.

On a side note, Tonk will prolly blame the acorns again. Lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's not jus that I got skunked that had me irritated... I mean, I've been skunked countless times over the years and it's normal. I truly don't expect to see deer EVERY time I enter the woods. It's just that this set has been so hot over the past couple weeks and my anticipation was through the roof. High expectations leads to higher disappointment I guess. lol Oh well... I'll be climbing back into this set in the morning. Hopefully the deer cooperate this time.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I feel your pain buddy. I sat til 11:30 and if it weren't for a spike I would've been skunked on my 3rd consecutive sit.
I'm motherfugging anything that is listening the entire morning. Lol

In fact, it was my 3rd skunking in my creek stand. So, this afternoon I moved it to a different spot. Just couldnt take it anymore.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Its probably because you talked to me. I am having such bad luck i think i am jinxing everyone I talk to .

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Yea, but have you got to the point where you're having conversations with yourself in the tree about the hunt, and how crappy it is?!?! Uh yea, when I go 3 days or so and I see one deer a day, none others, I get a little "Altitude Sickness" I like to call it lol. I get a little animated sometimes by myself when things are going BAD! But they always seem to turn around... You'll get er done!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea, but have you got to the point where you're having conversations with yourself in the tree about the hunt, and how crappy it is?!?! Uh yea, when I go 3 days or so and I see one deer a day, none others, I get a little "Altitude Sickness" I like to call it lol. I get a little animated sometimes by myself when things are going BAD! But they always seem to turn around... You'll get er done!

Ha! That was me this morning! lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i joined the club tonight JB. Skunko City until I was walking home. Then I saw deer in the field between the stand i hunted and the house. Was thinking hard about hunting that stand. Guess I over thought it and hunted the wrong one. Oops.

holterross

I feel your pain I got skunked tonight, actually I have been skunked more this year then I ever have been in the past. I dont know if its the weather or just bad luck but I would like it to change either way. Good luck

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had a good hunt tonight, finally. It was a last-minute deal... Only had a little over an hour in the stand, but it was worth it. Around 5 oclock I had 4 does and a small scrubby 8-pointer come through. I had shot opportunities at every one of them but elected to let them go. The buck nosed them around a bit, but I didn't really see any hard chasing. This made me feel a lot better about this stand adjustment!