Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pay attention to the little things

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

Shoulda killed a doe this morning.

Coulda had fresh loins on the grill for lunch.

Woulda be fun having my kids along to track & drag her out of the woods.

BUT (and there's always a BUT)

2 does came in from the field behind me. (slightly down wind, thanks again Scent Smoker!) I had no idea they were there until they entered the woods right behind my stand. I didn't move until they were in front of me. Quickly grabbing my bow, standing up, and coming to full draw in one motion. The stood quartering away at 18 yards. I paused for a second thinking back to something Brock wrote a little while ago... and watched my pin floating on the brown fur of the deer for an extra second or two (it IS a beautiful sight to see). I double checked my bubble was squared up and moved my finger towards the trigger of the release. Everything felt absolutely perfect from my anchor, to the extra seconds of watching my pin, to the release letting loose.

Then I saw what looked like a high hit, followed by the two deer blasting out of the woods. The one I shot at took off like a rocket, while the other bolted 50 yards and stood looking around like, WTF?

I could see the deer wasn't hit, and wasn't acting hit. She ran like crazy out to 200 yards, then circled back towards the woods, eventually rejoining her fawn.

Reviewing what happened, I could see my arrow sticking in the dirt. Clean as a whistle. Then I caught a glimpse of a broken twig, right in line with the hole I was shooting through. In my rush to get the shot off I just didn't see it there. Everything looked good through my peep, but obviously it wasn't. The silver lining is that I had a clean miss and didn't wound the deer.

The cut twig I clipped off...

The arrow stickin in the dirt...

The hair cut off the top of her back...

Back at tomorrow...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
This little guy came in about 20 minutes later and checked out the area. He smelled my arrow about a dozen or more times.

[video=youtube;EJqBIWL-_wM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJqBIWL-_wM&feature=plcp[/video]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A missed deer is always better than a wounded deer. That sucks though, man... Too bad it just didn't come together.

dangerousoldman

i feel your pain. I did the same thing wed morning. 18 yards and an easy shot steep angle, kind of a gimme shot. doe jumped over into some brush and stood there. I was waiting for her to fall and then she walks back out and looks around and then walked into the brush and left. I saw both sides of her and there was no blood, no sign of a hit and she wasnt even overly spooked. I got down later and went to look at my arrow but it wasnt anywhere to be found. three days now and I look for the arrow every day but it just isnt in the area she was in, right in front of my stand. I thought she was in the clear when I shot but there much have been a small twig sticking out or something. I never saw the arrow after it left the bow and I have no idea where it went. I do know that it didnt hit the deer. mystery to me.....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Glad you took the picts. I TOO have cut and shot my share of twigs, hair and a tree or two. lol
One season I had a doe at 25 yards while in a new tree stand w/ a 44 redhawk. I could not believe how she ran off after the shot as-if nothing was wrong. I spent a half hour on the ground looking for blood or hair where she was standing... nothing. Dumbfounded, I climbed back up the tree. As I looked out to the spot she was standing I noticed 5 foot out from the end of my gun was a half shot off twig a little thicker than my finger. I had looked right through it in the scope.
Live and learn.
Thanks for the post. :smiley_bril:

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bummer Sean. Sorry to hear it. I am with JB. Better a cleanly missed deer (except for the hair cut haha) than a wounded one.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang! So close Sean! I know alot about haircuttin' deer hair but I had no twig deflection either. lol

Hang in there buddy! Cool video TOO!

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Where do I sign up for my membership card? It happens to everyone man, hang in there. A couple years ago I didn't see a branch on a 130' 8 and just about jumped out of the stand to see if the safety harness worked lol.