Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Day of reckoning nov. 13th

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, its been a year of ups and downs. However, I was lucky enough TOO put my target buck down. My week of vacation was the 3rd thru the 10th. I had many encounters with bucks of all age groups. my strategies were pretty simple. I would choose my set based on wind directions and TC pics. with several to choose from, it was a matter of luck which one would produce. My first day yielded some good rut behavior and no shooters. My second day however, I had 15 deer, 3 bucks and 12 does well within bow range. The biggest buck was a 4.5 year old that I have several TC pics of. He came to my rattling and grunts with a lot of aggression. With an 18" inside spread and short tines, he was`nt what I wanted. The rest of the week yielded many deer sightings and opportunities for me. So, my vacation comes and goes and the idea of having to go back to work. I remembered a thread that Brock posted a few weeks back,about November 13th being the best day to be in the woods. So, after work on Monday, which was warm and rainy. I was watching the weather and saw that the temps were going to drop and high pressure was going to be here for awhile. I took another day of vacation on Tuesday, the 13th. I told myself that I would sit tightall day in my favorite stand, which happens to be on some property that my brother and I own. It is a pinch point which borders a clover patch and bedding area that countless bucks cruise searching for does. I was nocked and loaded by 6:30 and excited too say the least. At 7:00am I had a buck come in to a scrape just out of sight. I could hear his heavy footsteps and antlers in the limbs as he worked it. It gave me goose bumps to say the least. Shortly after that, I heard the most awesome crash of antlers just below me. It lasted for 8 to 10 seconds. This really got me fired up, but nothing happened until 10:00.I had a 2.5 year old 7 point come to my grunts, which still gave me hope. I was texting my Brother every so often, letting him know how and what was going on. Ric is a persistant fuggar! lol. I was busy replying to him, when I noticed another buck standing in my shooting lane. FUGG! I could`nt move, thank goodness he was`nt a shooter. at 4:00 PM I heard the neighbors cows bawling, which usually meant deer movement. As it turned out, I was right. I heard grunts and ruckess coming my way at 4:30. It was a doe and buck on the path leading them past my shooting lane. I didn`t realize that it was my target buck, bcause it being so thick with brush. I came to full draw as he started into my shooting lane,but as luck would have it he stopped. I held my draw for prolly 30 seconds ,which seemed like forever. Finally, he continues trailing the doe, which allows me to finish my buisness. The shot was 20 yards at a pretty steep angle. Slightly quartered away, he let out a grunt like growl at impact. I though my shot was center deer and it was, but a little lower than what i would like. I immediately called Ric and told him my news. I was pumped and excited to say the least. I gave him 3 hours to expire before rounding up some great friends to help in the recovery. Unfortunately we got my deer up from his bed not 50 yards from the impact spot. We decided to take up the trail the next morning. Stacey Triplet and his son Adam were kind enough to assist me in my recovery. It was a blessing to have them there. They found him less than a 125 yards from where we jumped him up. Always nice to have close companions with you to share in your success. What a surprise to me to find out that my deer was the one on my hit list. I have a couple of TC pics of him and indeed he was at the top of my list. Thanks to everyone for their support and kind words. I named my buck " JP MORGAN".

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats Ron for staying persistent and waiting for the right deer. A couple of those bucks that you passed were nice in their own right but you gambled and it paid off big time! I'm sure dad was looking down and smiling and enjoying your special moment this particular day, Nov.13th.

I'll post some pitchers(lol,another SE Ohio accent word) later today.

Congratulations again Bro!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm having more issues with photobucket again. Ever since they updated their website to a new format I've had nothing but wasted ass time waiting for things to update or download. WTH!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If anyone is willing, I can send 4 to 5 pics to their phone and they could download and post them on here for Ron. I have no idea what is up with my PB account. Everything is like froze up over there. Can't even access my album. Has anybody else had this problem lately?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations again, Ron! Great buck, and story to go with it. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Trying this from my phone.