Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gotta love the youth season

Kaiser878

ohio
So I'm sitting in my stand this morning about 100 yards off a dirt rd. The deer funnel across the ridge and head into a cut corn field across the road... well I had about 7 or so come by and head across to the field and I had heard grunting but.no buck....about 5 MIN later a bergundy Chevy pickup stops in the road. So I'm thinking there must have been a buck with those does and I didn't see it.......then suddenly..........BOOOOOMMMM... rt out the passenger side of the truck.....what the hell is wrong with people? So now I'm waiting on the GW to get here so we can see if they killed.anything.....

Hands down....the worst season of my life....this makes the 8th or 9th time I have had a.hunt spoiled this year by other people....not whining ...just stating the facts .....I'm about to throw in the towel

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What's youth season really have to do with that? Guilt by association? That's straight up poaching regardless of what season it is. Sucks all the same...

Kaiser878

ohio
Who knows if it was a kid with his dad? I would assume the person who did it just assumed he could shoot a gun out the window and it would go unnoticed...since it was youth gun season....
but yes poaching is poaching. I agree

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The lowlifes will start popping up during the gun season that's for sure. This calling in and tagging system ain't helping either! It's faster, cheaper(driving and gas) and easier no doubt but it comes with negative consequences as well.

Sorry to rant Zack, but very sorry to hear about the latest ordeal.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry to hear it Zach. On the flip side, there are also new hunters learning ethical ways to hunt. My wife's 15yr old cousin got his first shot at a deer on my property this morning. He sat 40yds from the property line. His dad made him wait for him to cross the line.

Kaiser878

ohio
That's excellent to hear Phil. That's how kids should be taught. I just hope it wasn't a kid shooting with his dad driving him around.... we looked and looked for blood, but we found nothing......I'm hoping they missed...either way it is disturbing that people do this....

About 3 or 4 years ago about a mile south on the same rd guys were poaching deer at night. U could drive by that field at any given time and see anywhere from 6-10 carcases scattered through out the field...some with their heads cut off....all had bullet holes in them.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Get 'em Kaiser....No room for people like that in our sport. In the long run the uninformed public will throw the word hunters into that equation.

Gordo

Athens County
Straight up bullshit. I hope that wasnt some idiot with his son, thatd make it more sickening.

As for you throwing in the towel, you gotta keep on truckin buddy. At some point somethings gonna give

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Don't throw in the towel Kaiser........ Frustrating as it is, there is still plenty of time left on the clock. Ya gotta be there to see it all come together.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The telecheck system has put more emphasis on hunters reporting wrongdoings. Great job Zach calling it in. You never know where it may lead bud but its good karma for you. We need to be even more diligent in policing ourselves

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Straight up bullshit. I hope that wasnt some idiot with his son, thatd make it more sickening.

As for you throwing in the towel, you gotta keep on truckin buddy. At some point somethings gonna give

No doubt about it. I agree with this 100%. We can only hope we are bringing up more ethical hunters that stick with the sport than the dirt bags are raising future felons. Sadly, I am afraid the dirtbags and thugs are probably multiplying faster.

Thanks Zach. Clean miss. Plenty to learn though. Just glad he got to see deer AND get a shot at one on his first outing. Might be just what he needed to get hooked on it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Zach with the season you're having it's just a test too see what your made of.... Keep at it and maybe you'll score late season or even muzzleloader season.... There's time where you just gotta rethink your approach and maybe switch it up a little too make it work out for yourself.... In the long run it'll make you a more well rounded hunter.... :smiley_coolpeace:

Kaiser878

ohio
Tonight was really slow until about 445...then the flood gates let loose....I ended up seeing around 12-15. I drew back in a great big old doe at 10 yards then let down.....I just wasn't feeling the nasty drag that was sure to follow ....since I was in the deepest hollow in the county. Ha the last deer through was a great 3 yo I passed last Thursday .... he is about 17 inches wide and is rt around 130ish...great young deer. He ended up standing at 30 yards perfectly broadside....as if he was testing me to see if id cave in.....but he knew what he was doing...he knew he was safe... so it wad a pretty good ending to a day that started so terribly.

badger

*Supporting Member*
One of Zach's buddies killed a doe behind our old house this morning. The day of Zach's service I gave him a knife that was bought for Zach at Christmas last year. He used that knife to skin and butcher that deer today.

So yes, I do love youth season.

Tim with his deer.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Very, very cool Badger!

--

Hey Kaiser, I think you just need to take vacations during youth season, gun season, extra, and muzzy so that you don't have to get your blood pressure up year in and year out.