Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dang!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Today I found out I drew two rifle days at Ft Indian Town GAP. The hunt days are 1 and 5 December. Letterkenny is having a doe only day in Zone I, but they'll let A card holders bow hunt the industrial areas on the base. The catch is you can only shoot a doe. I'm fine with that and expect to spend another day in a tree stand watching nice bucks run around.

Anyway, after work I took my 30-30 out to the local range and commenced to stacking rounds on top of each other at 100 yards. Just for shits I also took out my mossberg 500 20 ga. I've never had much luck with this gun because the smooth bore slug barrel always seemed to shift after the shot which screwed up my scope alignment (it had a b-square mount that was mounted over the breach vise attached to the barrel).

Anyway, I threw a few rounds down range using 2 3/4 inch shells. At 50 yards it shoots about a foot high, but all I really need to do is adjust the rear sight and I should be good. Here's what was interesting. I've got a few boxes of Federal 3 inch shells and it appears my gun LOVES them! Dang what a difference. They shot about six inches high at 50 and were DEAD ON at 100 (with open sights too).

To be honest I was kinda shocked. The bad news is that I've only got a few 3 inch shells left. I wonder if they still make them?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It only takes one. Just sayin'

But to answer your question, I don't know but there's a few gun nuts on here I'm sure can help ya Chuck.