Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

As good as it gets

at1010

*Supporting Member*
......without killing.

I got in stand early this morning, as I am getting dressed at 545 this am I look out and see two does. I then look out at 6 see another deer eating clover in the yard. I am about to start the walk out back, and I see a buck in the front yard crusing(not sure on size).

I get to my stand, and at 655, I have a small buck walk right on by. About an hour later, I have two does sneaking by and then a buck. I grab my bow and get ready. After I size him up I passed on him, I just couldnt get my self to shoot him. He was a nice one but I dont think he is bigger then anythign I have on the wall. I would saw he was around 122inches.

He worked the does all the way around me twice. He then started to lip curl, and burrp burrp burrp, and the chance began!

Super cool morning, and I am proud of my self for holding off. Deff the biggest buck I have ever passed on.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good too see you had a great morning.... Hope many more too come your way..... And like you, I've passed on a lot of deer in the last 2 years that 4 years ago I would of dropped in a heartbeat.... I guess we're just maturing ..... :smiley_coolpeace:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just got. I have to get ready for the Youth Hunt tommorrow.
At 8:00 had a very small doe and fawn at 50 ft. I want to take another doe but she was too small.
At 10:00 seen 2 deer running in the corn field nest door at 200 yds. Running away from, then running towards me, then run the other way. I assume a buck chasing a doe.
Nothing else till 1:00 and i packed it in. I didn't even see anything on the hay field next door.
Frank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear it AT. That is definitely a good day in the stand. Sounds about like the size of the deer I passed on my first hunt of the year. Beautiful buck. Despite being without the opportunity to tag a buck in my zone, I do not regret passing him. Now if my son ends up with a chance at him later this season, I will not be holding him back. In between now and then, I am just enjoying watching the action. Good day in the woods is good for the soul.