Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sun, Mon, Tues in IN

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Well rough couple days in IN. Hunted Sunday night and had a 125" 10pt right under my stand, could of shot him a 100x dogging does. Monday sat in rain for 2 hours and only saw 3 does, then it switched to snow and I had a 130" 8pt skirt me at 63 yards. Ended up seeing 27 deer that day but no shooters. Tuesday I hunted all day again, the am produced 12 deer but no shooters. I had to get down at noon to pack my truck so that after the evening hunt I could just hit the road, well at 11:50 I take the camera off the arm and hear a snap behind me, 50 yards in the corn theres a 150" 10pt. I slowly put the camera back on the arm and realize hes maybe 140 bc he busted up and his other side is NT. I tried calling him in once he started working away from me and he never even picked his head up. I snort wheeze..... nothing...... grunt...... nothing. Screw it I started rattling once he got 125 yards away and that locked him up and got him looking back but he never cared one bit! SO I climb down and pack real quick and get back out to another farm and only see 2 small bucks and a doe. Just cant seem to close the deal this year....... Its killing me!

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I'm a callaholic and decided this year I'm decoying next year. I've called in a ton of deer, but my buddy had an encounter with a piebald we been chasing for 3 years and I'm sure if he had a decoy out, he could have brought him in. My buck I shot this year I am certain only came into me because I had a forky 10 yards behind me. Even if nothing else I think the tinks blow up would help to at least get him within 40 yards...

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I'm a callaholic and decided this year I'm decoying next year. I've called in a ton of deer, but my buddy had an encounter with a piebald we been chasing for 3 years and I'm sure if he had a decoy out, he could have brought him in. My buck I shot this year I am certain only came into me because I had a forky 10 yards behind me. Even if nothing else I think the tinks blow up would help to at least get him within 40 yards...

I love hunting field edges with a buck decoy in late October/ early November. To me, it makes the hunt much more exciting. It seems nearly every deer will come investigate. I was beginning to get a little skeptical of how a true mature big buck would react to one. My dad cleared that right up. He had a 160+ stud come to ten yards hair on the neck up, hunkered down, and pawing at the dirt on his way in to ten yards. Unfortunately a tree limb was in the wrong place at the wrong time and he center punched it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think deer hunting is like sales at times. Sometimes the sale goes easy. You put in minimal effort and nail a huge commission check. Other times you work your tail off for a tiny compensation. Just keep putting in the time Rutin. Keep cold calling (figuratively unless you think cold calling for bucks is what you need to do lol) and sooner or later you will close the sale.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
I think deer hunting is like sales at times. Sometimes the sale goes easy. You put in minimal effort and nail a huge commission check. Other times you work your tail off for a tiny compensation. Just keep putting in the time Rutin. Keep cold calling (figuratively unless you think cold calling for bucks is what you need to do lol) and sooner or later you will close the sale.

Agreed 10x