Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reduced recoil slugs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I took Jessicas nephew out yesterday to fire a couple guns for the upcoming youth season. First up was a gun quite special to me as it's the first gun my father bought me. A NEF single shot .410. I had my doubts about the 410s efficiency against deer. But I figured as long as he can put it in the right spot on a 30 yard shot to a pile of corn it would do just fine. After he fired a box of slugs I fired a box of slugs. The old 410 was relinquished back to being a small game killing machine. On a rest from 50 yards the shotgun managed to hold a slightly larger than deer size group.

Luckily I had planned ahead and picked up a couple boxes of Remmington's managed recoil sluggers. A 2 3/4 ome ounce slug at 1200 fps and a claimed 40% less recoil. I fired a few shots myself first to make sure about their claims before handing the 12 gauge to the 13-year-old nephew. Being a standard slug out of a rifle slug barrel I wasn't holding high hopes of accuracy. The first two shots at 50 yards printed about a 3 inch group. Recoil was very tolerable kicking about the same as a high brass number 6 shotshell.

Travis stepped up to the plate and his first shot went low and I could tell he anticipated the recoil. His next three shots at 50 yards were dead on the money in a group that I could cover with my hand.

Curious as to what the slugs would do at 100 yards we backed up to the bench that's actually 115. I fired three shots off the bench producing a group six inches low and the size of a cantaloupe. When Travis stepped up again he fired three shots giving my shots company on the paper.

Seven shots fired by a 13 year old out of a 12 ga slug gun and no flinching. Using a good rest I would not hesitate to let Travis shoot deer at 100 yards with this combination.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352900004.082982.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good for him, that 12 ga recoil has ruined a lot of hunters over the years.... My son started with the .410 pardner and then we upgraded too the 870 20 ga accurate as hell shooting the lightfields out of it... He thought he wanted too shoot my Marlin Slugmaster one time and I handed too him and after the first shot he handed it back and said I could keep that thing lol....

Good luck with Jessica's nephew this weekend, is this going too be his first time out deer hunting? Hope you have a great time with him.....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Since season opened I have taken him a couple times to the blind with an Xbow. Days that were windy or rainy and the blind made sense. I think I have taken him out 3 times. So far he's killed a corn robbing coon and seen a couple deer too far to shoot. I hope to get him in a good spot this weekend where he can plug his first deer. The kid loves hunting, he's smart and pays attention. Little things like when I got to the edge of a cut field one evening I turned off my headlight. When he stepped out he did the same. Just little things I've noticed he picks up on that tells me he's really in to it.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Pretty neat Joe... Had my 10 year old bro shoot 2 3/4 Hornady's out my Mossberg 500 20ga. Unfortunately it was getting TOO dark to get him out further than 50 yards but he shot pretty well.

Just curious to you think about this... I heard you shouldn't shoot rifled slugs from a rifles barrel as it messes up the rifling in the barrel... Don't know if this is true, I just shoot sabots out of my rifles shotguns...

Anyways, good luck to everyone taking the youngsters out this weekend. Hope all are safe and kill some deer!!!! Lots of memories to be made this weekend.

Big H

Medina
I bought some last year and they were definitely softer. My youngest will be shooting them out of my Ithaca this weekend. Sami will be shooting a TC Impact I bought for her last year.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice, Joe! Mason will be shooting "bobster" the CVA Accura, and I have no idea how he came up with the name. He thinks he's a sniper when he shoots it...and again, I have no idea why.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well. Travis got a good shot at a 145ish buck Saturday morning. Missed him clean at 100 yards. Little further than I wanted him to shoot but he was good on the bench and he had a good rest on shooting sticks. He took his time and counted to three a couple times calming his breathing. On his last count I heard him inhale, hold it, bang! Missed low. The buck just looked up and walked back in the pines unscathed. The gun was zeroed for 50 and these slugs have about a 6 inch drop at 100. He must have been concentrating so hard he didn't hear me when I whispered twice. "Aim at the top of his shoulder." after the shot he fell apart. I mean shaking so bad he couldn't stand and I could hear the pump rattling. But after looking for blood for about 2 hours we hung it up. A doe walked out while we were walking over and he had another tag but i wouldn't let him shoot. Trying to teach the kid to follow up and make sure of his first shot first. He did good. Saw plenty of deer the rest of the weekend. Just none in range. He's not bummed and took it in good stride. After I told him he missed. Which to me was like having to tell him his puppy died he was in good spirits. He said " well I saw a good buck and I got a good shot. We could have got skunked.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds like the kids got a good mentor as well as a good head on his shoulders..... Great too hear he had a good time and got an actual shot....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sucks he had to miss a fine buck. Glad he got to take a shot though. Kid will be hooked. You are a good man for helping introduce him Joe.