Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Copperhead Clothing

Milo

Tatonka guide.
This year i was asked to give this product a shot and see how it performed for me. This will be a running review as I finish up my hunting season. This has been a tough year so far but i have had a few chances to try the clothing out and below is a first blush review and initial findings

Backgroud- I'm a generous sized individual and generally sweat at the drop of a hat. I hunt hill country at times as well as some long walk creek bottoms. I'm on my feet and moving quite a bit as a don't believe in hunting with 4 wheelers and the good lord took his time to give me a perfectly good pair of feet so i might as well use the dam things.

First items i tried were the socks. My boots i use are Lacrosse Alpha Burley's. The pair i have been using are about 7 years old and on their last legs. They have been VERY good to me and only a couple of holes in them from abuse. That being said, they also stink just a bit. I put the socks on and went on a couple of hunts and i was shocked at the major reduction in foot odor normally associated with regular wool& cotton socks i generally wear. on one hunt a leak developed on a creek crossing so my foot got a little damp. this would generally have made the foot stank a little worse. Not so much with the Copperhead socks. I literally had to rub my feet with my hands to try to find a smell. I was shocked to say the least. Had to make a couple of phone calls to confirm because i truly was not believing it. I do not have percentage in mind of what i thought it reduced the foot odor but i can tell you it was SUBSTANTIAL... really amazed me because I'm the last man on this planet that would ever by a scent lok suit.

Now that i had this performance with the socks I was majorly excited to try the rest of the suit.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The suit
now onto the clothing...Fit and finish of the suit are excellent. even with my body type i was very pleased with the cut, feel and craftmanship of the product. the mossy oak camo pattern was more than ample. The clothing also has a very silky smooth finish and feel. i moves very well under layers of clothing without bunching. Very Good so far and i expected nothing less considering the individual that has brought this to market. Now onto the test.

So, i'm a bit of tard at times and this week was nothing new. With a Young family and busy work schedule some things get missed at times... What i unfortunately did is I left my hunting deodorant at our farm in southern ohio...I realized that as i got out of the shower the morning i wanted to hunt. that makes for a challenge...what did i do? I just put the copperhead clothing on with no deodorant and said lets give it a shot. 5 hours of hunting and i return home and put my gear away into the plastic bags i use for storage. Guess what? NO detectable odor at all coming from my arm pits...i just shook my head and removed the garmets and shoved them into my nose in disbelief.. nothing...I am amazed at home effective this copper based clothing really is. There will be more as get more time a field later this week and give it some more testing. Right now I'm sold. This is going to be a fun week and I cannot wait to get back into the field with these garmets....with deodorant on of course:smiley_blackeye:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Milo, do you use a smoker? If so, did you smoke your outergarments, or are you relying simply on the Copperhead clothing?

Sounds pretty impressive so far

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have also been wearing the Copperhead Clothing this season and like Milo, I have been thoroughly impressed with the quality and performance to date. The socks are very comfortable and their ability to come out of my boots after several hours of wear without any noticeable odor is a true "feat" of science! The shirt has a longer cut to the back which makes it stay tucked in and that is a difficult thing to do with my build. The pants are very well made with a convenient "pee hole" and generous cut in the "package" area. If I have a knock on anything, it would be the face mask needs to be cut a little longer in the front so it could be tucked in the mock neck on the shirt. These layers are surprising warm despite resembling Under Armour Heat Gear in construction.

All in all, I have been very pleased with not only the construction, wear-ability and overall quality of the Copperhead line of clothing, but it also lives up to the claim of cutting down on human odor. (I am still smoking up, but you can tell the Copperhead does its job just by smelling the socks and your more sensitive areas after wearing them for a while.) The socks alone blew my mind, and the rest of the line followed suit after putting them through the paces. Perhaps the most amazing thing I experienced was the moisture wicking ability of the Copperhead line. My lower back sweats like crazy and after one particularly long, hot walk back to the truck one night, I took off the layer over top of my Copperhead and found it to be soaking wet. Yet when I touched the Copperhead shirt, it was nearly dry and so was my back. That alone sold me on this line of clothing.

Check out the website and see what Copperhead has to offer. I'm sold and I think you will be TOO after trying them out! Start with the socks and I have no doubts you'll go back for more!!!

http://www.copperheadclothing.com/

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Milo, do you use a smoker? If so, did you smoke your outergarments, or are you relying simply on the Copperhead clothing?

Sounds pretty impressive so far
i did not smoke these dan these were just straight up garmets. didn't want to spoil the sample set. I'm sure smoke would even make these moe better...I have yet to smoke this year yet to be honest. have not been out much and its very dissapointing to say the least.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
x3 for another satisfied Copperhead Clothing user.

I put my Copperhead suit and socks through the paces last week out in North Dakota on a duck hunting trip. Temps were in the high-20s to upper-40s throughout the week. We hunted for 7 straight days, duck hunting AND pheasant hunting, and I wore the Copperhead garments every single day. Like Milo, I was really surprised by the comfort of these garments. They are smooth as silk, non-itchy, and make for an excellent first layer. The moisture-wicking properties of the Copperhead Clothing is superb, IMO. Unlike deer hunting from a stand, I move around A LOT while duck hunting... brushing blinds, setting decoys, picking up decoys, trudging through knee-deep mud, etc... so sweating is simply unavoidable. The Copperhead Clothing wicked away the sweat and helped keep me from getting cold during idle periods of the hunt.

The biggest surprise after the trip was over was the overall lack of odor in these garments. I wore them for seven straight days... no washing in between... and there was virtually no stink whatsoever. My other layering garments emitted odor in the armpit area, as expected. But not the Copperhead stuff. To me, this was simply amazing. I hunted HARD during those 7 days.... much harder than I usually do while deer hunting.

My only beef is that I wish the socks were a bit thicker. Then again, maybe not. I found that wearing the Copperhead socks underneath a pair of thicker wool socks was a great combination. Moisture-wicking and scent-eliminating qualities underneath, insulating layer on top.

All in all, so far I think the Copperhead Clothing is top-notch. Definitely a great addition to my base-layering arsenal.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Milo, is this something you will be selling or dealing with? I would probably be interested in a pair of socks. That is the one thing I have major issues with, my feet sweat way to easy and then are wet all day long, and they REEK something fierce when I get them out of boots. Have never been able to find something that will keep my feet dry from sweat.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Dammit! Damn you all! Now just one more thing I gotta buy:tantrum:
And it's not even the scent-free thing that's driving my interest, but the moisture wicking thing.
Damn you all.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Milo, is this something you will be selling or dealing with? I would probably be interested in a pair of socks. That is the one thing I have major issues with, my feet sweat way to easy and then are wet all day long, and they REEK something fierce when I get them out of boots. Have never been able to find something that will keep my feet dry from sweat.

i dont think they will stop you rfeet from sweating steve, but they will stop them from reeking. I would maybe suggest a 100 merino wool sock to help with sweating..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Dammit! Damn you all! Now just one more thing I gotta buy:tantrum:
And it's not even the scent-free thing that's driving my interest, but the moisture wicking thing.
Damn you all.

see dan, this is how im looking at it...IF im gonna sweat, i'm gonna sweat in style...i need all the help i can not stinkin...this fits the bill VERY nicely...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dan, the Under Armour gear is awesome stuff and well worth the money. Last weekend I had my Copperhead on over my UA Cold Gear and got pretty sweaty on the walk out. When I took off my last two layers, I was amazed at how all the moisture was laying on the outside of the Copperhead and in between my UA fleece pull over. The UA Cold Gear is much warmer, but the wicking abilities are similar. However I would say the Copperhead wicks moisture better than UA Heat Gear does...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have also been using them since the beginning of season. Like Jesse I sweat mostly around my lower back and chest area. I noticed I was staying much warmer on the stand and finally figured out it was because the Copperhead clothes had wicked away any sweat. If I had to put a percent on it I would say I was 30% warmer. Last week I took a week off to hunt the rut. I hunted hard for 9 days and wore the copperhead clothes daily. I only washed them at the beginning of the weeks and avoided smoking them up. I still smoked my other layers and clothes but not the Copperhead clothes. I wore them from sun up to sundown for 9 days. Even when I would change out of my other layers at the truck I would leave the copperhead clothes on and dress back in to my normal clothes. I did this mostly because changing out of the copperhead clothes would have me standing in a field in my birthday suit. Temps ranged from 27 - 70 during the 9 days I was hunting. Two of those days I forgot to wear the scent away deodorant after my morning shower. Any other time would have had me driving back to the house. Instead I just laughed and said we'll see what this stuff is made of.

At the end of the nine days I hesitantly sniffed around the garments.. Nada. They smelled like fabric. I was floored. I'm a boxer man myself and wearing boxers under the base layer clothes makes the boxers bunch. So I wore these as undergarments the whole time. I was simply amazed that nowhere on the garment could i detect a noticeable odor.

Comfort was superb. They didn't bunch, ride up, or feel like a sausage casing. They stayed down while in my boots and the shirt stayed tucked. Range of motion stayed the same without even the slightest tug of the fabric when climbing or drawing back.

Overall I would say that the Copperhead Clothes surpassed my expectations. Initially I was skeptical that a little copper in a garment would produce any noticeable difference. The scent killing abilities combined with the added warmth make it a solid product in my book that performs exactly as it's advertised. And they're comfortable! The face mask is one of the best I have ever tried. It's not to tight and doesn't shift around. The fabric has enough grip that your hat doesn't fall off. The front of the face mask can be pulled below your chin and doesn't choke you but is readily available to be pulled back up when deer are close. And when pulling it up and down it doesn't change how it covers your face and it goes back the same every time.

I also noticed another thing that I can't prove one way or another and need some more testing to figure it out. Not sure how I'm going to test it exactly but it was an observation while on the stand. The deer didn't seem as worried as seasons past. We've all had those deer that just get hinkey for no apparent reason. Almost like they just know somethings up. They slink around.. Look everywhere.. And sometimes for no reason just back out. That didn't happen at all last week. I don't think I can contribute it to the clothes, and I'm not sure I believe in it myself. But copper screens are commonly used to block electromagnetic radiation. Faraday cages are nothing more than thin copper mesh that block out all electromagnetic waves from coming in to or leaving an enclosed area. I can't say deer can sense the waves we put out, and I can't say the clothes block them. All I can say is the science. Copper mesh blocks electromagnetic fields.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another set. They perform exactly as advertised and even shocked me as to their effectiveness. I would however like to see the facemask be a little longer, it's an awesome mask as is but added length would make it just that much better. These clothes combined with smoke is one deadly combination to defeat a whitetails nose.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I forgot to mention in my post that I only showered every other day while out in North Dakota, so I was at prime stinkiness level. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang. So much for laughing about Mike Rex being a goofy loon promoting some junk product now. Sounds like you guys put it thru the tests pretty well. I will have to give Mike a hard time about something else next year at the expo and see how hard he is going to hit the pocket when I place an order. :smiley_blackeye:rotflmao