Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Don't forget to have fun out there!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The pressure we put on ourselves to lay a biggin low sometimes gets in our way to ultimately just enjoying ourselves amongst the beauty God has bestowed upon us. I have been guilty many times over the years of overlooking the fact of how blessed I am of being able to get out and hunt. Taking things for granted is often very easy for me when I'm consumed with killing a big deer. Most of us hunt with a very limited schedule and that certainly cranks up the pressure to get it done as well TOO. The next time you hear a squirrel bark,see a piliated woodpecker at work or feel that cold chill down between your shoulder blades when you haven't seen a deer in awhile just remember to soak it all in and just enjoy the moment and relish the fact at least your not at work! Be safe out there and don't forget to have fun! Goodluck and Enjoy it!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well said Ric! That is exactly what I did last night. Beautiful thing to view the woods or fields from 25' up. Hoping to get my son out by the weekend. That will be fun as well. It is the little things in life for sure.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've got a lot of respect for you Ric! Your attitude towards hunting, and life in general is one we should all consider adopting. I'm sure your father is looking down on you and Ron and is very proud of the boys he raised!

Sometimes we forget why we are really out there, and feel like we "deserve" to kill a big buck. That just isnt't the way it works. I find myself all TOO often sitting on my phone playing a game or checking in on the forums because I am bored out of my mind. I can personally say that their are times where I forget why I am out there, and just don't enjoy mother nature like I should.

Thanks for this post Ric, and thanks for being a great role model!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well said Ric! I've been guilty of losing sight of what matters as well and it was nice to have a new perspective this season, and then to have it pay off. I've still been going out and it is mainly just to enjoy the outdoors with no pressure and boy is that a great thing!!!

Ricer2231

Nice write up Ric! It's nice to read posts like this when I lose focus of how long it's been since I last checked my gratitude list. Thanks for the reminder.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Good one Bro! Dad sure raised us right! I think about the same exact thing TOO sometimes. I took this day off because one of the threads said that the 13th was gonna be great! Well, so far it has. Not because I saw a shooter or even shot one! This is the best hunting day so far this year, weather wise. What a beautiful day it is!!! Thanks for reminding us!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Is it ok to still yell at the neighboring to to shut the hell up ??

Always! :p:p

I started to say something similar to this in the "jealousy" thread, but couldn't quite make it sound right. When I leave to hunt, I always pray for safety, then for fun. Some of my happiest nights are not when I've pulled the trigger, it's just watching some of the fascinating things I've got to witness, especially watching fawns hoof each other!

epe

Lancaster
Very true.. I enjoyed this year spending time out in the woods with dad. It is fun seeing the big ones, but I just enjoy watching the wildlife when they don't have a clue you are around. I watched a falcon go after some cardinals about 10-15 yards away last week. Wish I could have caught it on camera...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Again, Very Well said Ric. I notice everything out there, but am guilty of not paying close enough attention to it. Thanks for being you!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Fantastic post Ric.

For those who haven't met Ric, you have TOO. We are all ate up with hunting or we wouldn't be contributers here, but Ric's energy/passion must be seen in person.

Thanks for the reminder..it is hard to lose that whe you are so focused on the ultimate goal of putting a big buck on the ground..I have been a little frustrated this year but I have only got out a few times this year and I expect it all to happen in one sitting..thanks again so next time I have 7 or 8 squirrels around me sounding like a heard of cattle I will just soak it all in and enjoy the "music"..