Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rut Hunt 11/3 - 11/11

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

The most uneventful 72 hours in a stand I have ever spent. Saturday through Thursday was nothing but dinks and does. The does were still paired up with their fawns and sometimes in groups. The dinks weren't even acting rutty. Just normal deer behavior. Walking around, browsing, etc. Thursday (day 6) I saw my first rutting behavior about 5 miles from my hunting spot. A buck with his nose to the ground cruising a field edge. Still no rutting behavior from the stand. All told I saw minimal movement and dinks. Not a single deer over 100 inches seen from the stand. On Tuesday I had gotten a good picture of a 10pt in a small woodblock. Him and about 4 does and 3 dinks on a 2 day cam soak. The next morning I saw every deer except the 10. That night JD called and told me he saw tank about 3 miles north with a doe. By Saturday I had thrown up the fugg it flag and elected to sleep in one morning of my uneventful vacation. Saturday evening I took my GF nephew out to hunt a blind. About 9:30 the GF calls and says the sheriffs department was there saying they found my truck abandoned in Champaign county. She assures them I'm hunting. They want me to call anyway. I call the officer and he's nice. My truck was parked in the field the night before and again that morning prompting them to think it was abandoned. So I get that straightened out and he want's to play 20 questions about why I have pumpkins stacked to the roof in the back of my truck. Then he want's to know what the propane torch was for. I almost told him i was making pumpkin spice meth but thought better of it. and not wanting to explain what a "Smoker" was to an officer already obviously clueless about hunting I told him it fell out of the truck.

That evening I take the GF nephew to another spot I have been baiting for months in hopes to pull the does in and entice tank. No tank so lets take him there to shoot a doe. We get settled in the blind and about 20 min I'm hearing gunshots. Just figured it was the neighbors. Then I hear rounds coming though the trees.. I told the GFs nephew to stay low in the blind and I'll go find out what's up... I walked out waiving my arms and yelling at these people.. The quit shooting and I go back to get her nephew. We get in the truck and I drive to where they are on the top of a high wall. The gravel pit area is literally 10 acres. Half owned by one person, half by another.. I had permission on one and was parked at the entrance to the other. My truck was in plain sight from where these guys were shooting.. I told her nephew to stay in the truck as I walked over to talk to them. I started off nice as I could see they were young 20 year olds. I asked "Did you guys see my truck down there" Yeah he said in a smartassed tone.. Then what made you think it was safe to be shooting that direction". I called the landowner and nobody has permission to be here except us he said again smartassed. Actually I do have permission on the neighbors place and it's only 10 acres in here.. really It doesn't matter who owns what, you saw my truck and started shooting anyway, it' a safety issue not permission. "Yeah, well you aren't wearing orange while hunting and you should be." A switch flipped inside me. I lost it.. I spit my dip out, walked to within about 3 feet and said "Boy, you tell me what I'm supposed to be doing one more time and you're going to be swallowing your fucking teeth" Then i just stared at him for about 10 seconds.. His buddies instantly quit laughing and saying things together under their breath, and he went in to instant oh shit mode. Once he stopped being a smartass and I could literally see him shaking i calmed back down and told him. Excuses don't bring people back if you kill someone.. The bottom line is you saw my truck and you decided to shoot anyway. That's not safe. Landowner permission, orange, all that doesn't matter to a bullet.. I dint come up here to yell at you guys but you need to understand you could have easily shot someone today. I understand you guys want to have fun and shoot guns but you ned to use your damn head. Those aren't toys and people get killed everyday doing stupid shit like this.. What's the landowners number? I'm not calling to get you guys in trouble as I think you've figured it out, I want to let him know i have permission on the neighbor so he doesn't think I was trespassing. The kid was shaking so bad I could barely make out the number he wrote down. I called the landowner and let him know. Mentioned the guys shooting but I didn't mention how unsafe they were being. The last thing a landowner wants to hear is people being unsafe with guns on his property as that's how everybody loses permission. He ended up giving me permission on about 100 acres across the road which connects another place i have permission.

Oh and earlier in the week I picked up permission on another property I've wanted to get in for a while. It's where all my big ones come from and want to go. However a couple sits in there proved uneventful until i learn what the deer do in there.

Ah the joys of hunting.

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Dang Joe, I can't believe none of the big boys were on there feet this past week, hearing a lot of the same types of reports up here as well. Dinks and does doing their thing on normal patterns.

Good job on straightening those boys out, maybe they will think twice next time!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Sounds like you got some more hunting ground over the little conflict, sucks that the GF's nephew had to experience that.
My hunting is alot of the same thing your experiencing with movement and no big ones in site.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Glad you got it taken care of Joe and didn't have too beat their asses too get it done.... What is it with kids being in a group and all cocky until you call them out and then they want too piss their pants???? Good luck with the new property and here's hoping an uneventful great harvest on your next venture out....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Glad you got it taken care of Joe and didn't have too beat their asses too get it done.... What is it with kids being in a group and all cocky until you call them out and then they want too piss their pants???? Good luck with the new property and here's hoping an uneventful great harvest on your next venture out....

They were quite smart assed at first. Their lack of respect for others safety, his tone, and his buddies laughing set me off. Looking back I don't think I would've been so pissed if her nephew wasn't hunting with me. Not having kids of my own it was a new feeling for me to get that irate because someone put our lives in danger. I had a responsibility for that kids safety and they were joking about it. I haven't gotten that irate in a long time. If they were adults I probably would've just went to town and not said a word more. But apparently when a guy head to toe in camo who hasn't shaved in two weeks spits out his dip, closes the distance, puts his finger in your face and says in a deep southern drawl "You're going to swallow your fucking teeth." 20 year old boys dressed in Abercrombe go in to bitch mode quick. All three of em knew i was about to whip some ass and obviously thought I could whip them all. I think they understood by the time i left that it wasn't a joking matter and understood the seriousness of the situation.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hopefully they keep that one in the memory banks for the next time they go out shooting..... Good life lesson hope they heed it......

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Damn man, keep after it. Thankfully nobody was hurt there with those guys shooting like that. I'm sure they'll think twice before they just go off firing rounds next time.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I figured you had some cajun drawl coming out when you were pissed. I bet when they saw your hot sauce start dripping out of your nose and ears they figured they better simmer down. lmao

Glad nobody was hurt. You, the nephew, or any of the young punks. Don't know what to tell you about the bucks. Seems like it is hit or miss. Either they are rocking and rolling or the area is dead. Not hearing a lot of in between.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
although this thread is very serious and has some good points, I had to laugh at some points.

Everyone on here can probably relate to jackalopes points, and when you get real pissed off seems like the redneck just likes to come out of all of us.

You did the right thing tho man, and I commend you for scaring them but not taking it to far.