Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stage of rut?

td16

Any opinions on what stage of the rut might be happening this coming week into next weekend in SE Ohio?

Kaiser878

ohio
IMO over 50% of does have been bred, maybe more than that...That is in my area....Have been seeing deer being bred for over a week now... I run approximately 8 cams, and have spent 70+ hours in the stand in the last week. Have seen my fair share of lonely fawns and have personally seen does being bred.... We are in the peak of breeding, and on the downward side of peak breeding...... again this is in my area

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm in Washington County and I'd say this week will be locked down on my two primary farms. Next weekend could be pretty good with cooler temps and bucks searching for those last does. Just be sure to wear your orange...

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i havent seen any rutting on a few farms, saw 9 does yesterday no bucks but its usually a week later than other places. but on a couple places i hunted last week it was on.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
FYI I phoned upstairs and asked that they put a temporary injunction on the rut, halting it until next Saturday morning when I can get back out.
Still waiting for the reply.

TurkeyFizz

Just put 4 days in on the stand thursday-Sunday. didn't see any rut activity til yesterday I saw a small 8 chasing a doe. Saw 4 buck yesterday moving and looking. Saw 3 buck together the day before acting like it was August. Between 2 of us we saw 13 buck in 4 days and only one chase. Saw 2 buck cruzin on the way home yesterday afternoon 70 degrees 1pm. perry county

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm in Washington County and I'd say this week will be locked down on my two primary farms. Next weekend could be pretty good with cooler temps and bucks searching for those last does. Just be sure to wear your orange...

Damn that's a good reminder. You should start a thread to remind guys.
I was at Caesar's creek this weekend and hearing gunshots, had to check the book to see if it was youth season, thought I mighta screwed up and didn't have my orange. It was just duck and squirrel hunters.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Im with Kaiser... i am putting all my eggs in next week's basket...hopefully my hunting pressure lets up also.

epe

Lancaster
Damn that's a good reminder. You should start a thread to remind guys.
I was at Caesar's creek this weekend and hearing gunshots, had to check the book to see if it was youth season, thought I mighta screwed up and didn't have my orange. It was just duck and squirrel hunters.

If it was duck hunters they were illegal. Duck is out...

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
If it was duck hunters they were illegal. Duck is out...
There was fresh feathers in the parking area when I left, and after each shot I heard yelling, I figured it was a hunter yelling at a dog. I don't duck hunt so I don't know season times. If that's what was going on, that would be pretty ballsy....I'm hopin' I'm wrong.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't have a clue what stage the rut is in near me right now. Being gone all last week I'm sure I missed a lot. I do know that I've hunted the past two mornings 'till around 11 a.m. and have seen very little movement. I've only seen 3 or 4 lonely fawns and a 1.5 yr old half-rack. No does... no big bucks... no chasing or sounds of chasing. It sure seems like the breeding phase is upon us.