Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Letterkenny Army Depot let down

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
As most of you know I've been hunting Letterkenny Army Depot (LEAD). Yesterday was one of my hunt days in Zone I where the big bucks are supposed to be.

I left my house at 0330 and made the hour drive to LEAD. I left early in hopes of getting in line early and getting checked in quickly before the crowds arrived. What I got was a 250 person long like and a parking lot of trucks that looked like a Black Friday Walmart parking lot. It took me one hour to get through the line (BTW only 20 more people showed up after me) and another hour to get through security and in a truck to head out to my hunting area. I don't think I would have minded it so much if it haddent been for the fact that several more people showed up at 0600, checked in, went through security, and were two or three people behind me in line for the bus (note to self, sleep in tomorrow).

So I arrive in my spot at 0630. I walk into the woods and I'm shocked at the damage Sandy did, but the spot I wanted (an open area full of white oaks next to a thick thicket flanked by evergreens on one side and the other an open field) and was shocked that no one was there. I thought things were looking up, climbed a tree, and sat all day. The rut is on here and all I saw was one doe running across the field and a small 5 point that walked past me at 60 yards. There are so many squirrels that it's literally deffening the noise they make.

Anyway, I figured it was just a bad day, and since we had to be on the road by 4 pm for pick up I figured I'd check the field edge for scrapes and rubs. I was shocked when I didn't find anything! To be honest I think this spot is a better early season area. There are obviously not many doe in the area because with a buck to doe ratio that is close to 5:1 there would have been a buck running them.

One thing I've learned about hunting public land is that generally speaking if there aren't other seasoned hunters in that area there is probably a reason. I'm guessing it's just not a great area (even though it should be because it's literally perfect). I have a different plan for tomorrow and wouldn't mind some thoughts on it.

1. I'm going to hunt an industrial area on base. It's an earn a buck area so I have to shoot a doe first. I haven't killed a deer yet and i'm taking off all of next week to hunt Zone II. Plus if I kill a doe then I can hut these areas during the doe gun days and kill a buck. This increases my chances later down the road (next doe hunt is Saturday the 17th) of being able to shoot a buck there where the hunting pressure isn't bad.

2. tomorrow is supposed to be warm (high 50-mid 60). I'm going to hunt until noon and then check into the main ASP to scout and become familiar with other areas. By then a good chunk of other hunters will be gone and this will give me a chance to learn other areas. (BTW I can't get access to the ASP except for specific hunting days).

3. I'm also going to revise my 130 or better buck goal for the year. Yesterday I saw some of the bucks that were checked in. To be honest I wasn't that impressed. In fact I actually passed a buck the same size in Zone II last week. There are some biggens for sure (believe me I saw a legit 130 class buck in an IA area last week), but I think their numbers are exaggerated. I'm not going to shoot a total dink, but if he's as wide as his ears and has some descent height then I'm shooting. I haven't killed a buck, much less a deer, since 2005 so I think I'm going to start getting serious and not so picky.

4. Zone II IMO has a LOT of potential. I hunted there friday night and heard two bucks fighting at dusk. It's THICK and there are trails and rubs everywhere. Tuesday I'm going to hunt a tree I cleared and then in the afternoon I'm going to find a place to hang a lock on stand. I'm looking for an area with good cover and several intersecting trails. Zone II gets a lot of hunting pressure, but I don't think most hunters take the time to go deep into the thick stuff. I guess I'll find out Tuesday and report back.

5. I'm on the fence about what time to head out tomorrow. If I want to get an IA area I'll have to be there early so leaving here at 0500 isn't an option. I'll probably leave at 400 am tomorrow though, but we'll see.

What really sucks about Zone I on LEAD is that you have to be on the main road at 4pm. The reasoning is so that they get everyone out before dark so they don't have to deal with tracking deer all night. It sucks, but its their rules.

Regardless of what happens I'm still having fun, but hunting LEAD Zone I is frustrating.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck Chuck! Sounds like you're having some good action so far. A frontal system is pushing fast and hard your way so get it done soon. We are/and having 30-40 MPH wind gusts with a good amount of rain. Good luck!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Damn Unicom spike ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352746450.699834.jpg

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Well I definitely saw plenty of deer today, but never once did I have a shot at doe. I could have shot the unicorn spike several times this morning and in the afternoon, but he's "just close enough" in size that it's not worth chancing (3 inches or less are considered antler less).

I was going to hunt a week, but I'm going to work tomorrow and Wndnesday. This 0300 crap gets old and the hour at $30 in gas round trip is more than my pocket book can afford. I'm going to hunt Thursday, Friday, and Saturday though.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Change of plans. I'm not hunting again until Friday. $30 a day in gas is to much for my budget right now. I'm also saving four days of leave too.

I also found out that if I'm on furlough that I can hunt in Ohio with out a license. We have a four day weekend over TGiving so as long as I have a piece of paper saying I'm off duty for four days then I'm good. I called the Columbus DNR office to verify this. Based off that I'm going to try and sneak in an evening or morning hunt while I'm in Ohio.