Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Locked down?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
On the way home from hunting today, I saw two nice bucks with does in two different cut fields off the turn-pike. The one doe was bedded and the buck was standing by her right in the middle of the field during daylight. Similar for the other. Is this a strategy for keeping other bucks away from a hot doe? I've never seen this before. This is the first year in five season that I've actually seen any kind of rutting activity on my properties.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yep , thats lockdown . O think they get away to find solitude from all the dinks pestering them . Sometimes they put tthemselves in vulnerable situations. Don't overlook trying to put the sneak on em. I saw multiple bucks Friday and Saturday locked down .

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Exactly what it is. "This is mine, stay away" It's close... I still think it's about 3 days away from the big percentile of does standing, but she's close...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I saw the same thing Saturday morning while road scouting. Not a big boy, but he was guarding his girl in the middle of nowhere. Closer to a 4 way stop sign in the middle of the country than any woods.