Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dave's Ride Along

bigdave

Opening day 2012 I put 35 -40 sets in. Tried to avoid the river as much as possible with an inch of rain forecast for Monday. Had a hot trail that I just had that feeling on last night about 8:30. Went down to the bridge and sure enough 1 on a drowner. (Sorry no pics of that one) This morning son and I went to breakfast and had another in a DP on same property. Of course camera batteries were dead so we didn't take a pic of that one either.

Next score was a double on trails leading to our feed pile for the deer. Both DP's baited with marshmallows and flavored syrup.

Next double was a blind 1 1/2 in the river and DP with carp chunks and fish oil

Another double under a bridge, both blind sets. This one will produce mink as soon as I can clear out the coon.

The set no where but over the trap for anything passing under this bridge to go

Last one a single in DP with mallows and scented syrup - Was largest of the day at 18 pounds (Weighed not guessed)

My youngest son and nephew posing with catch

bigdave

3 more coon and 1 possum today, sorry no pictures the rain/snow wind mix was not conducive to pictures. Wind as strong as it was I am surprised with what I had. Two were in DP's and so was the possum the other was in the set with the coon at the blind set in the river that scored yesterday. Calling for cold tonight and wind to lay down. If it doesn't get too cold they should run.

bigdave

Today was a memorable day for me. Our jet mechanic from work found out I trapped and wanted to learn more with his son. We made arrangements to have them help run my lines today. Grant and his dad Rob just happened to be able to wear waders that belonged to my sons so they could get up close and personal during the days run.

Grant and I before we got started

I knew it was going to be a good day when the first trap we checked (DP with marshmallows and syrup) had a 15# nearly all black coon. I showed them how to dispatch and remake the set. Went around the corner of the old abandoned house and there was another real nice colored coon. Not bad 5 traps checked and 2 coon. (sorry we didn't take pics of those 2)
Went to the ditch and had another coon in the first trap.

I let Grant help me with the dispatch

Here he is trying to lift it for a pic along with my ugly mug in the photo

Finished up the ditch with just 1 rat along with that coon. I really expected more rats but no such luck.

We were walking to the truck behind Grant. I had his dad take this pic... thought it was a great picture him carrying the rat and the catch pole.

Got back home and hopped on the 4 wheeler to run the rest of the line. Grant and Rob were real troopers climbing in and out of the river and up and down the banks. Grant even tried to take a ice cold river bath but I grabbed him in time to keep him dry except for his arm. We checked a bunch of traps until we hit the fresh sets my sons and I put in on Thursday. All the traps on trails leading to the corn were empty so the ones leading into the beans I wasn't very confident in them.

I guess I learned something new as we had 1 in the 3rd trap

2 traps later another

Then on last trap of the day we had another.
Wound up with 6 coon and a rat a day that is nothing to some guys but will leave a lasting impression on me. Thank you Rob and Grant for a great day.

bigdave

Figured with the warm weather the critters would run last nite. It was a bittersweet line check as I was pulling the line as I checked because of deer season. First farm was a blank which was really surprising due to the amount of coon sign that was there. Came home grabbed 4 wheeler and the 16 yr old son to help run and pull the local line. Pulled 4 coon of the local farms and with 3 K9 traps left to check headed for home. As the boy and I pulled into our home place field something didn't look right. As we got closer we were greeted with this pretty lady.

My First Trapped Coyote

Today's Catch