Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question too the Pros

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Never really had this problem before, but was wondering if a buck was locked down on a doe typically how long would he stay with her before moving on too another? I know there's probably no definitive answer too this question but in general what have you guys seen in your past hunts?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I tried Googlin' it and didn't find much.... I'm no pro by far. If I am right, I thought they said the buck will stay with her for up to 48 hrs and then actually breed her off and on for up to 24 hrs when she is ready.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I tried Googlin' it and didn't find much.... I'm no pro by far. If I am right, I thought they said the buck will stay with her for up to 48 hrs and then actually breed her off and on for up to 24 hrs when she is ready.

I haven't had the luxury to witness a buck with a doe during the entire "lock down" phase. Most never have I would guess. Seems like what Rick wrote above is what I have read most consistently. Couple days. Maybe a few. If I had to guess the buck/doe ratio might be what dictates this more so. If there are 3-4 does/buck, I am guessing the doe isn't going to get as much time. TOO many to choose from for the buck to sit around and beg. Like I said, that is more of a guess.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks Capt obvious hahaha where you at youngin?

I was afraid you had forgotten what the chase was like ol man...lol
Home for a few more days, then back to work.
Next trip home will be wabbit season!