Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rut hunting in the rain

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I know this has been discussed before. Since this is really my 1st year of rut hunting I ask is it ethical to hunt in the rain with a bow? We are looking at almost 100% rain all day on Monday. And it seems to be cooking here in deer activity.
I seen 12 deer before noon yesterday and 6 were bucks. My grandson 100 yds away from me outside of the woods seen 11 before noon. I could ID no does as were he seen about 6 does.
Off to the killing fields now so maybe if I am lucky I won't need the rain info. But how about it?
In 21 yrs of owning this farm I have never seen such deer activity but then I realyl was only a gun hunter and never hunted the rut before. Man am I 40 yrs late. But i am sure going to enjoy what time I have left in life.
FRank

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I would be hunting. I wouldn't force any shots. Nice close broadside shots.

Too me there is also big difference in a light drizzle and an absolute downpour.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I never worry about rain. Your goal is always a clean, ethical shot. When you make a good shot, they typically go down in sight...

Ricer2231

I never worry about rain. Your goal is always a clean, ethical shot. When you make a good shot, they typically go down in sight...

My thoughts exactly. I killed my buck in the rain last year and I will be hunting in the rain Monday. I don't take marginal shots in the rain but I also like the thought that the rain knocks your scent down and helps in getting the deer up and moving around.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'll have to agree Frank. If you keep your shots close, you should be alright. I've hunted in a little more than a drizzle before during the rut and it can still be exciting.

epe

Lancaster
I try to hunt in more open areas, so if the deer runs it is easier to find. If you have a field to hunt they are using, hunt it...

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys that's all I wanted to hear. Rain it is unless it's a downpour.
Frank

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
If anyone in my neck of the woods is hunting in this shit, you are much more dedicated than I.

I had to work anyway, but looking outside it is downright putting the rain DOWN!!

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Well its pouring right now but hopefully it will let up soon..

uploadfromtaptalk1352725062380.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

Sumbitch...I was hoping for a good morning's hunt with the corn coming off yesterday...wasn't supposed to rain until 8...it started at 7 and its pouring. No thanks...not gonna finally see a deer and lose a blood trail...fugggggggggg

If today was a day I had scheduled off, I would have worked...but without the option, now I've just got a day to waste.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Yep that's what kept me out of the woods yesterday evening. 30MPH winds and dead ash trees everywhere don't mix very well! Be careful out there!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Man this really sucks. It's pouring here. We are in hiil country here and I have a creek to cross to get to my woods. I doubt I could have gotten home tonite so I stayed in. If it doesn't stop soon I won't be able to get across in the morning.
May have to hunt my blind across the road on the landingstrip. But it's really not a good setup for bow hunting as the deer come out everywhere in 1/2 mile.
Frank

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just came in from my blind. Yes, I have said deer & rain go together ... but I guess I failed to mention that rain, wind & I are not a good mix. The radar didn't look for for the near future. At least I have hot coffee now.