Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Backyard Bowhunter - The Freezer Filling Project

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've decided against shooting any does off my two core properties with the exception being if and when my wife hunts. Other than that, I need a plan for filling the freezer. So tonight I got to work finishing some prime organic venison on grain. This ain't hunting, but it'll keep us fed and it won't begin to put a dent on the doe population around our house. With 21 acres beside us that is part of a 1,000 acre wood lot, we have a steady supply of slick heads. We saw 11 just last week!

My "blind" is the old playhouse that was here when we moved in. Deer bed to the east of here and a prevailing SW wind makes it huntable nearly all the time. I'm even hanging a tree stand to attempt a recurve kill from! With permission to recover deer all around me, I just need them to stop on my 2.34 acres at some point and golden acorns should do the trick!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352586122.563974.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352586137.141312.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352586150.176332.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
A friend of my brother still had a tag left after muzzleloading and had shot a buck so it was antlerless only for him. He set up a feeder outside his hunting cabin down in SE ohio. Then he took the screens out of the screen door and moved his chair and the TV in front of the door. He sat in the recliner watching TV with a mirror looking back so he could see when the deer came to the feeder. A doe showed up and he got out of the chair, grabbed his crossbow and prepared to shoot it. He mistakenly forgot that the line of sight for the scope on his crossbow was a few inches lower than the path of the crossbow bolt. He released the bolt, it hit the frame of the door just below the window and promptly took the door off the hinges.
Deer 1 That guy 0
I have a good laugh everytime I think of the first time I heard that story.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Do you have sliding window in your home? If so, I would think sticking a rifle out the window would be much more comfortable than sitting in the old playhouse. Just trying to think outside the box here...

:)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Do you have sliding window in your home? If so, I would think sticking a SHOTGUN/MUZZLE LOADER out the window would be much more comfortable than sitting in the old playhouse. Just trying to think outside the box here...

:)

Fixed it for you Brock..... :smiley_clap:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
HA. Is it legal to kill one from inside the house? Because I'm pretty sure it can be done! ;)

Jessie it is legal to shoot from your house. I asked our Local warden couple years ago and he said it was OK. He did tell me it wouldn't be right to claim a throphy though.
There is a law about shooting close to a inhabitated house. I believe it's 200 ft. But not out of the house.
I was recovery from open-heart surgery and could go out but could shot a handgun just fine.
I would ask you Local warden.
Frank