Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This warm day ....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After my failure this morning & today being quite warm, I don't even wanna think about the woods ... at least until tomorrow morning. So is anyone going out this afternoon ?? I'm still undecided with time running out.

Outdoorsfellar said:
So is anyone going out this afternoon ?? I'm still undecided with time running out.
Outdoorsfellar,
I don't think that there should be any doubt to go out or not. You can't kill 'em from the couch. :smiley_blink: Everybody makes mistakes, so don't lay there crying in your beer, when you could be out there knocking 'em down and dragging 'em out.

I've just started hunting as of this past Wednesday. I had a bunch of work related crap that I had to get done and haven't had any time to hunt. So, I'll be hitting it hard between now and the Deer Gun Season...no matter the weather, missed shots, getting winded, etc., etc.

So, as I would tell myself...Get After It! :smiley_asswhip:

Bowhunter57

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Rick is taking one of the granddaughters out. He did tell her it was warm and that they might not see anything, but that you never know unless you go.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Oh geeze thanks alot ... I was looking for a good excuse to stay home & watch football ! Ok, ok, ok ... I'm going. Bow, if I get a shot, I owe ya a beer or two....lol Xbow... I certainly can't let some little kid show me up... thanks lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think I've lost that feeling of "having" to go. If I don't want to be there, I aint goin! Then again, you may have just talked yourself into killing the biggest deer of your life. I shot my highest scoring buck on a day just like this in 02. Warm, and windy as heck. Only saw two deer that evening, but one of 'em really counted! Good luck!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I am in a tree. Can't hunt the tomorrow and I can't think of the last time I heared a guy say he didn't want sex cause it is just TOO warm....

Might I get skunked, yup. But that tends to be my norm. Id rather know I didn't have a shot than wonder.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Uhhh, scratch that. I opted to go back to the blind & as soon as I got settled in, there must have been 8 cars one after the other drive up into the back of my neighbors yard. By the sound of all their cackling, they were having a party of sorts. Thanks for all the encouragement, but tomorrow morning will be another day !

I agree with " hunt when you can"..I have been working 6days a week since September and have not made it out ONCE(sorry team mates:smiley_depressive:)..One day off is split between the wife an 3 kids..Maybe tomorrow even though it will be almost 70 degrees ...I do have a 5 day thanksgiving weekend coming up:smiley_chinrub:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Prime time it settled down and seemed perfect..........Then a van load of idiots pulled in the property next door and who knows what they were doing?????? But whatever it was there was too much noise for where we were at. Granddaughter didn't get to see one again.

dangerousoldman

lol, i must be getting old i guess....I hunted until 1 today and then came home for a bit and to change out of the insulateds intending to go back out around 3. Fell asleep on the couch and woke up around 430.....didnt really have time to run back down to the property and get to any stands...just gave it up and showered and went out to eat. Time was when I wouldnt have needed a nap midday......oh well....

Outdoorfellar,
My first 3 days (evenings) out, all I seen was squirrels.

This morning, I had 4 bucks around me and a hot doe. One was huge and he was keeping a doe all to himself. All the while 2 (6 or 8 pt.) lesser bucks were attempting to get a chance with the doe. However, the huge buck wasn't having any of it and when they got too close he'd drop his head and run them back about 40 yards.

As the big guy was following the doe around a 4th buck showed up and attempted to join in the chase. Neither of the 2 lesser bucks were interested in a "new comer", as he was a half racked 6 pt., so they quickly ran him off. This was all unfolding around 7 a.m.

This afternoon I went back to the same area and the half racked buck was wondering around by himself. I gave him a short doe bleat, but I think he's a little "gun shy" after having been run off so many times, so he kept his distance, tucked his tail, hung his head and walked off. :smiley_baby:

I'm going back out in the morning and taking my doe decoy, in hopes of getting a good shot on the big guy. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Uhhh, scratch that. I opted to go back to the blind & as soon as I got settled in, there must have been 8 cars one after the other drive up into the back of my neighbors yard. By the sound of all their cackling, they were having a party of sorts. Thanks for all the encouragement, but tomorrow morning will be another day !

Glad to hear TOO peer pressured you into hunting. lol

Can't say I blame you for calling it quits when the party started. In 2010 I had a warm, and windy (15-20mph) evening on November 21. Got settled in and heard some guys talking and walking around. It was the farmer and his boys. Within 10 min they left. I thought, "Okay. Might still get a chance." Next thing I hear this gosh awful racket and see the farmer with his antique manure spreader going up and down the lane. Once again, I am thinking "Great." He was done within 10-15min and I decided to enjoy the warm evening in the tree and was just "hoping to see a deer." Within an hour I had killed a 138" buck which was my first bow buck. You just never know.

Then again, the farmer had left. If your visitors were having a party. . . .can't say I blame you for calling it a day.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The wind picked up here about 11:00 and my tower wind camo currtins were standing straight out. I packed it in.
Frank