Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Right Around the Corner

Huckleberry Finn

Dang!

Just realized that gun season is really right around the corner. This weekend is dedicated bow time and Thankgiving weekend I'll be busy, so that leaves next weekend to shoot the guns in.

I haven't hunted the gun opener in 4 years and I've missed it like crazy. I'm taking the day off work and will have a flex schedule that week that will result in plenty of time to get it done.

I need to pick up some sabots this week and get all my muzzy crap together...put the slug barrel back on my 870, etc.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm really looking forward to gun season this year! And to think, I used to hate to see it coming... Times are changing, at least for me!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will be hating it this year. I won't be in the woods unless I am holding onto Hank's leash or traveling to hunt somewhere.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
After all the close encounters with nice bucks this week I am ready for gun season to. But I doubt the bucks will be out like they are this week.
Maybe the 2 grandsons can score on a nice one next weekend during Youth season.
Frank

Last edited:

Lundy

Looking forward to it again.

Spent the last few weekends in Athens getting everything ready.

My daughter-in-law decided she wanted to hunt again this year, sooooooooooo, I have been making preparations for her hunt. The first year she hunted two years ago she hunted on an apprentice license and spent all of 20 minutes hunting before shooting her deer. This year I made her take the hunter safety course and have put her to work on the preperations. She needs to work a little this time and earn an opportunity instead of me making it so easy on her.

To her credit the first time she shot one of my 12 ga single shots and it rocked her world ( she is a little thing)every shot but she hung in there practicing and made a great shot at 110 yds. She doesn't know it yet but I have a new 20 ga Ultra Slugster for her this year. Also to my surprise when my son (not the non hunting son she is married to) and I tried to gross her out by telling her she had to gut her deer she jumped right in without hesitation.

I hunt every day of the gun seasons daylight to dark and love every minute of it.

Lundy

I dont know why that picture strikes me as so funny, but I died laughing when I saw it. (the one of her getting ready to gut the buck)

It had us laughing also at the time. We told her OK, now you have to gut it and she put on the gloves, grabbed the knife and set down indian style:), grabbed a handful and looked up and asked "now what"

We let her go for only about a minute before taking over and gutting the deer while she watched and helped by holding legs etc. We just wanted to see if she was willing to handle every aspect of hunting, she was to our surprise.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Go vintage, my friend...after you shoot one with your in-line or a shotgun!

See thats the problem... I have taken one w/ flint and in-line, 44 redhawk,12 and 20ga. (compound and curveve TOO over the years...)
I need that dang "straight wall" rifle deal to come in.

Never took a trophy but maybe some day. Untill then, I'm happy w/ the meat

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nice work Lundy! My wife always grabs the heart and sits the side cutting it open. But she's been known to do her own knife work TOO!!!

Huckleberry Finn

See thats the problem... I have taken one w/ flinin-linene, 44 redhawk,12 and 20ga. (compound and curveve TOO over the years...)
I need that dang "straight wall" rifle deal to come in.

Never took a trophy but maybe some day. Untill then, I'm happy w/ the meat

You pick the year and we'll go over to PA and do it with the rifles!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll be down in the SE at deer camp with my bro and buddies all week long! Love the atmosphere and camp feel. Hope to bust a doe while I'm down(if I see enough of them) and help the guys drag out a few good ones. Can't wait TOO get down there.:pickle:

Lundy

Nice work Lundy! My wife always grabs the heart and sits the side cutting it open. But she's been known to do her own knife work TOO!!!

LOVE IT!

Hey make sure we have some of that snow in January please.