Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Great evening!!!!

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I had one of the best evenings by far for this year tonight, it all started about 2 with me sneaking into a ground blind that is set up about 20 yards off of a corn field and is in a pretty thick crabapple tree thicket. Once in the blind I got everything ready, ranged some trees for some known distances and settled down for the evening. approximately an hour later a doe comes bustin through on a pretty good run, I grab the bow and get ready, here comes Mr. forkhorn with his nose to the ground and gruntin almost every step. This went on most of the afternoon, he ran her in and out of the thicket and the corn field. Around 4:30 all hell breaks loose on the ridge above the corn field, it started with some gruntin and then a snort wheeze, then the fight was on! horns crashin, running into stuff, the squirrels were gone nuts barkin, the blue jays were carrying on , limbs breakin, this was an all out battle royal!!! I sat and strained my neck trying to see something but never did but it was definately exciting to hear it. I was hoping they would work their way down into the crabapple thicket but must of went over the other side of the ridge. And finally right before dark I had a decent 8 come out to the edge of the corn field about 60 yards out and walked straight into the corn field where the forkie had been running the doe but never seen him again before it became to dark TOO see. Like some others have said in the last few days this has been one of my best days this year and I never drawed my bow, but got to experience some things that people who dont have this passion would never understand, that its not all about just "killing" a deer but experiencing some very amazing things that mother nature allows only a select few to experience, and I am very grateful to be one of those few!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good for you Buckbuster. Great stuff. After I arrowed that doe yesterday I watched a young buck doing his thing as well. No does around but I had a stand with a view which covered a lot of distance. Just to watch him work was awesome. Checking every tree, every twig/stick/weed those does had touched earlier were covered in his travels. This is a magical time to be in the woods. Best of luck on your next hunt!

RUT NUT

Awesome stuff Tad! Keep at it buddy! I feel like your going to kill a good one this year! Good luck!