Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What a morning!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Man am I glad I sacked up and went out this morning. My buddy from work came out to the farm with me and I put him one o my favorite stands. I went to my buddy stand overlooking my creek bottom food plots. I want a mature doe and I'm only taking one shot and that's after she eats from the plot!

I only two hours, but I watched a small buck dog a doe as hard as I've seen in years this morning while another fed in my food plot. After running off, they came back as hard as they left. Not long after they moved off again, I was looking for a spot to put a ground blind up for my wife. I caught movement in an area where I was contemplating a new stand next year when I caught a big bodied deer moving up the hill.

It took me several attempts to get him in the binos, but I laid eyes on Jack for the first time in 3 years this morning. I was about to text my buddy to let him know that I was slipping out before Jack came through, so I grab my phone and see a text from. He had missed Jack 5 minutes before I saw him!!!

He's in a stand Nayden hunted last year on Hippie Ridge. It's one of my best spots and this was the first time anyone has been in there all year. He has 3 days and a hot doe. Not to mention some great recon from 2010 when we had 4 encounters across 2 weekends with a 150" 10. Jack slipped back in to the bowl where he came from and that's where the big one spent midday the first weekend we encountered him.

Before I could even climb down, I had a small buck chase 2 does past my stand. That made 3 bucks and 4 does, with 2 chases and a shooter I haven't seen in our 3 year history, all in 2 hours!!! I'm in the truck glassing the hogsback and thicket he could slip in to or check at some point.

He lives!!!

View attachment 11137