Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer decoy's?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well my first endeavor with my Boss Buck quite frankly SUCKED! It's the most cumbersome, noisy and balky thing I have seen. I'd might as well brought along the OSU marching band. It was like fingernails on a chalkboard setting up! The most beautiful morning was destroyed with my dumb ass trying to set it up and. E quiet! FUGG!!! This will most doubt be my first and last attempt at using one. I 'am in a pine ridge with a great stand of oaks all around me. I will wait it out , but just wanted to vent my frustrations. What's all your opinions on these Damn things?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
they have their place. i think they need to be in the wide open like a field. they spook deer if they encounter the decoy and its in their comfort zone. they get surprised by it and get edgy. i like feeding doe decoys when the winter snow and winds are on.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I used mine again last night. The only place i use mine is in crop fields and I assemble it prior to going in to avoid extra noise. Trust me they are always cumbersome..... I carry my bow, backpack with all my camera equipment (which is alot) and a decoy over my shoulder. Def makes for a long trip in and out but when they work it is freaking awesome!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I've seen two differnt guys carrying them in the past. They were assembled already, so I'll bet it was because of the noise.
Never used one myself.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
My dad used one Sunday night and brought a 160" stud to 10 yards from about 175 away. Unfortunately he nicked a tree limb and missed the buck. Sad Sad night.....

jeremy44230

Medina County
Your right Frank, they are cumbersome, but don't let some noise deter you this time of year... It only takes one horny buck to buzz by to change your outlook...

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Thanks for the input. They do seem to work on television. The assembly of one in the woods, from my experience should be avoided. Most of my stand locations are really to thick to even use one. Thought I would try it in this location. Learnt a valuable lesson my first time! Thanks.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Buddy of mine killed a nice 9 point on this past weekend over a buck decoy. They definitely work in the right location at the right time, for me I just try to keep it simple and that would just one more thing I would have to fumble fugg around with before climbing up in the stand.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I also carry mine in after assembling. The place I use mine is in our creek bottom, so I will take it down on the quad a few weeks before I want to use is and hide it in some brush, then leave it there until I'm done with it.

I'd never haul one in for a morning hunt...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I also carry mine in after assembling. The place I use mine is in our creek bottom, so I will take it down on the quad a few weeks before I want to use is and hide it in some brush, then leave it there until I'm done with it.

I'd never haul one in for a morning hunt...

I could probably handle that... heck with carrying it into the hunt with you.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lmao, I know how my bro Ron is about getting in quietly and stealthly and after reading this I had to laugh! Sorry bro, prolly sounded like a Xmas morning back in the late 60's early 70's when two little rug rats were ripping up some styafoam,cardboard and wrapping paper. Rotflmao

epe

Lancaster
The buck in my Sig pic, I took with a doe decoy.. It was out in a open field.. We hid the decoy in the woods, and would assemble it day of...