Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good day @ the range

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This fixed my bad day on the range last week.... Talked to Sam last week expressing my confusion/frustration on trying too sight in my new slug gun (Savage 220) 20 ga, with a leupold 2x7x33.... Was all over the place and instead of taking a break and coming back another day in my frustration I was hell bent on getting it right.... Well long story short it was a miserable failure on my part.... Sam met me at the range and had me do a couple of scenarios and then fired a couple of shots pointing out the obvious mistake that he could see but I didn't (not at first then when he brought it up) a light went off and me thinking what a dum bass!!!!! Anyways I stopped what I was doing and the grouping settled right in and had a very nice consistent group at 100 yards... Using the Remington Accutips...... Very pleased with the performance of them just can't wait too see the outcome on a deer.....

A big thank you too Sam for taking time out of his day too help a fellow (dum bass) TOO'zer...... Oh and what was I doing wrong you ask??? Resting the barrel on the adjustable rest instead of the stock...... Note too self, don't do that anymore..... Sometimes you need someone too step back look at what you're doing and state the obvious......

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Glad to help.

Nice ohio deer gun setup you have there.

Shot a pretty good 100 yd 5 shot group.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Consistent Harmonics. Gald y'all got it worked out. Now bust some deerz.

Huckleberry Finn

That's a sweet gun and good group.

I've always founded that sighting guns in with friends not only makes it a lot more fun, it also makes it a heck of a lot easier.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Nice...I've looked at that gun, about how much did it run you (if you don't mind my asking) I've never seen one in a store yet.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had a bunch of gift cards from gander mountain and they honored a sale price from a competitor so it was 469.00 out the door which I traded my old slug gun in on it as well.... so I had no out of pocket cash per say.... scope is the leupold 2x7 and bought it at midway online with free shipping for 200.00 nice shooting gun and a heck of a lot lighter than my last one plus half the recoil....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm tell en you. These two guys are a hand full when they get together! lol

Well done J and Sam. :smiley_bril:

Huckleberry Finn

I had a bunch of gift cards from gander mountain and they honored a sale price from a competitor so it was 469.00 out the door which I traded my old slug gun in on it as well.... so I had no out of pocket cash per say.... scope is the leupold 2x7 and bought it at midway online with free shipping for 200.00 nice shooting gun and a heck of a lot lighter than my last one plus half the recoil....

Dang the slug hunter in me wants one of those something fierce...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've had a bolt action slug gun for the last 15 years and it was one accurate gun for what it was.... it had a very stiff and long pulling trigger and it kicked like a mule.... this savage 220 has a light rifle trigger and is really impressive too shoot.... plus its lighter and half the recoil is an added bonus lol.... if anyone is thinking about getting one I highly recommend it.... the combination of the 220 and the leupold 2x7x33 is a killer combo.... downside is this is strictly a slug gun so you can't remove the barrel and go after small game Turkey or anything else....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Yep j is right about the gun...here is how I look at it only being a slugger. One day when they try to come and get my guns there are gonna be a few individuals that wished they had better vests on because if I dont go through they are gonna have difficulty breathing for a month or so..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yep j is right about the gun...here is how I look at it only being a slugger. One day when they try to come and get my guns there are gonna be a few individuals that wished they had better vests on because if I dont go through they are gonna have difficulty breathing for a month or so..

Amen too that Milo.....

Lundy

Nice gun!

I already have 3 dedicated slug guns, 2 single shots and one bolt action, but If I were in need of another slug gun that would be my first choice for sure.

The available rounds for 20 gauges have come a long way over the last 6 years. It used to be that you were really sacrificing some performance with the 20 over a 12 but not anymore.

The only problem I have with my slug guns, 20 or 12's is the price of the ammo. They have us and they know it, we'll pay the price for the best performing loads:)