Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Journey

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
As the hunting season progresses I keep thinking about hunting altogether and where I am.

I love Bow hunting but I also love Gun Camp.
They are for some different reasons. I believe it is because of how I got where I am.
This got me to putting some pen to paper.
I apologize this is long.

I am by no means the level of hunter that a lot of others are or even the level I would like to be.
Just thought I would share some of my random thoughts.

My dad started us hunting at the same time. I was 7 or 8 and my older brother was 11 or 12.
My dad took us out squirrel hunting at first with my 410 and my brother had his 12ga. I can remember most of the hunts just like yesterday. My dad was one of those that truly believe that you learn best by making your own mistakes.
As we were just getting started we would walk through the woods hardly able to contain ourselves. Constantly scanning the tree tops for movement. I remember every time I saw a nest high up in the tree I would ask my dad if I could shoot it to see if a squirrel was up there. He patiently explained that if there was and we shot it the squirrel would most likely die in its nest and we would never know. Well we kept bugging him and bugging him since we weren’t seeing much action. Finally he gave in and told my brother go ahead shoot that next way up there. Well my brother walked up to where he thought he had a good shot (almost directly under the nest). He raised his gun and took aim. He slowly pulled the trigger and boom. The nest scattered in pieces and my brother flew straight to his back. My dad trying to hide his grin said next time you may not want to aim straight up instead back away from the tree and aim at an angle. I never forgot that little tip.

I started deer hunting with a 35 marlin at about age 12 (I grew up in Georgia). I remember how dad taught me how to find good sign, he taught me what to look for when choosing a spot to set up in, and he taught me how to be ethical. On one of my first hunts sitting alone my dad walked me to the tree I would be in and once I was settled he left for his spot. He came back a few hours later and asked if I saw anything. I told him no and he started laughing. I couldn’t figure out why and when I climbed down he showed me. There were fresh tracks right under my stand and a file of deer turds still steaming. He said he had watched the deer for a while wondering why I hadn’t shot. I had to confess I had fallen asleep and just woke up right before he came in. He laughed and asked if I had a good nap.

We hunted together for several years after that mostly Quail and Dove as he really wasn’t a big deer hunter. He always asked me about my hunts when I went out deer hunting and was the first to congratulate me when I was able to harvest one. The memories of the time we shared together is what I remember most.

I left for the Marine Corp shortly after High School and did not get many chances to hunt for the next 4 years. We did get to share a couple Dove shoots when I came home for leave. I always made it a point though to ask if he had been out when we talked. He would tell me the stories of the latest Quail hunt or the newest dog he had. He even admitted to me that he had really screwed up on one hunt. The story he told still makes me smile today. He said that him and a couple neighbors had a decent day afield and had harvested several very good birds. He told me the dogs were working perfectly and everything couldn’t have gone better. When he and the neighbors got home they decided to celebrate a great day and had a little cook out and many beers. Well he was a truck driver so the next day he went out on the road and didn’t get back for several days. When he returned home he had a huge surprise. In all the excitement the last hunt they forgot to take the cleaned quail out of his truck to put in the freezer. Yep they baked in the Georgia Sun for almost a week in his completely closed up truck.

I moved to Ohio back in 1996 after the service and Dad and I continued to share all our hunts, mostly over the phone. I no longer get to share my hunts with my dad as he has since passed but I continue the journey.

Every ones journey is a little different. Some may be more focused with just being in the woods, others may focus a little more on that special buck, some may just focus on the people they are hunting with, and others may be a little of each. For me there is no denying that the feeling I get when a deer comes in and I am waiting for that certain shot is one of the most exhilarating feelings. A few years ago my son had just watched his first deer walk in to our stand location. The deer never gave him a shot but once it left I looked over at my son and he was visually shaken. I asked him what was wrong and he said I don’t know I am just shaking so hard. I can’t get my legs to stop. I laughed and explained to him that if I ever lose that feeling I will quit hunting.

To me it is the stories, the memories, and the camaraderie that makes me love hunting as much as I do. The year is broken up into 2 seasons for me. One season is making the memories and the other season is reliving the memories.

The greatest thing is I now have the ability to pass on to my son the same. We have shared many great times in the field. He looks forward to deer camp as much as I do (not sure if it is because he gets to miss school or if it is because he gets to hang out with us). For the last 3 years my focus has been trying to get him his first deer. He has come real close and I think this year will be the year. Even if it is not I know we will still enjoy the time spent together afield.

Here’s to hoping my journey doesn’t end any time soon.
Here’s to hoping your journey continues as well.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Awesome write-up man! Thanks for sharing your "journey". I know I'm personally rooting for your son and wish him the best of luck in harvesting his first deer!

Shoulder Blade

Specifics are different but the theme is the spot on. This may be the best thing I've read on here, thanks.

I remember the first camping trip when he broke out the .22 and the "don't tell ur mother".

I remember the first time he asked me to go hunting and me telling him I couldn't shoot a deer.

I remember the first time I told him I was ready.

I remember my first crossbow hunt.

I remember my first gun hunt.......

All like they were yesterday not 20-25 some years ago. They are all experiences that have shapped me as a person. I can't wait to pass these experiences on to my son.