Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail Cam Bracket's

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I recently made adjustable bracket's for my trail cam's. This hinged bracket allows you to put the camera 9-10' off the ground and looking down at an angle or even straight down. I bought a 3' step-type ladder to help with this. Everything, including ladder was smoked-up before entering the field.
Thought is: More out of reach for sticky fingers. And if the deer DO see them, cannot reach them to smell anything unusual.
First chip pull: On a one day sit....had 88 pic's on 6 camera's and not one deer was looking at the camera. Today will be a two day sit and we will see what happens. Not convinced yet, but doesn't look bad at first glance.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Good stuff! I have one that has been about 9 foot up a tree pointing down at an angle since Sunday, I plan on pulling it this weekend and will post results.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Done another pull today on a 2 day soak. Still looking good....131 pic's of deer and not one looking at the camera.
The pic's are just a bit different...but you can still see what's there and when. Maybe it's the rut, but I seem to have deer hanging around more at the camera sites (Multiple shots of same deer with 5 min. delay on camera)

cdy_0001.jpg cdy_0003.jpg

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Pulled the camera chips again this past saturday. 185 deer pic's and STILL not one deer staring at the camera. I am starting to be quite impressed by the difference in TC locations.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Good Deal Frank! Glad to see you are having the same results. Got a feeling everyone should try this for themself. Results are amazing so far.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Mind snapping a few pics of these brackets next time you are out? I've been wanting to do the same thing for a while now, but refuse to pay the big bucks to buy a mounting bracket.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Will do Greg. I've got plans and pic's taken of the assembly. Need to get a pic in operation. I made mine for just under $2.50 each. Put 6 of them together in 2 hrs.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Pulled chips again today and took pic's of the bracket's. Haven't looked at chips yet. I'm no Engineer~~ Just a Hillbilly who likes to tinker. Feel free to ask any questions.

I cut 2- 3" x 8" pieces of treated lumber for each camera.
Cut a dado 1/2 way up on the base plate and covered it with a 2" x 5" piece of universal strapping from lowes. (to hold strap in place) If you don't have a radial arm saw available, you could probably just strap it to the tree or devise another way to hold your strap in place. (maybe with the universal strapping mentioned later)
Fasten a 2 1/2" hinge at the bottom.
I used universal strapping with the 2 different size holes in it for the angle holder. (like what you would tie up a muffler or water pipe with) Cut this about 8-10" for different angles. I found it at Wally World for like $2.29 for a roll of it.
Found a screw head that would fit through the bigger hole but not the smaller.
Fasten the strap tight on the top of the base plate.
Leave the screw out some on the faceplate so you can slip the strap over the head and hold at proper angle.
On your faceplate, you will have to use a little engineering for your type of camera. I have the Cuddybacks and could remove the strap bracket and put a bolt through the faceplate and into the camera.
They could even be wired on as long as they are fastened. Cable Ties would work also I would imagine.

hpim1997.jpg

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just finished looking at 6 camera chips. 209 more deer pic's and not one deer is looking at the camera. I am definately sold on this idea.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Thinking about these today: They do not need to be the 3" wide. Next batch is going to be 1 1/2 or 2" wide to help reduce the bulkiness in the tree.

Also: Received my Spypoiint BF-7 yesterday. Looks like a couple cable ties will hold these cameras just fine. Going to drill a hole side to side in the baseplate for the cable tie to go through.