Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

where to sit (ideas please)

huntnfool

Thornville
Ok so I have put 30 plus hours in the stand in the last 3 days. Feel like im just wasting my time here. I have only seen one shooter and passed up on a 130 eight point. I have sat in 6 differant stands on 3 different farms. I have done field edges and in the middle of the woods. i have 2 choices for the morning with this North wind. One is on an inside corner over looking a soon to be wheat field with a bedding area behind me. Problem is the wind will some what be blowing into this but perfect if they come from across the field or down the long wood edge. So I am not sure what to do.

Second is sitting at the bottom on a ridge in bowl that is mostly a travel corridor from one bedding to another that bucks seem to use. Problem here is I have not seen a damn deer sitting in the woods. My sighting have been on the edges.

SO where have you guys been hunting field egdes or in the timber. Where would sit.

whack

My choice this time of year is in the timber especially if your doing all day sits. Tough call though they can be anywhere anytime this time of year. Flip a coin lol

Ricer2231

The thing about hunting edges is you will see deer a lot more often just because you can see more terrain. I have been hunting in the timber and things have been pretty slow until the last hour or so of the day. Ya have to have confidence in the spot your hunting and to be honest with ya I don't hunt edges. What I have told ya may not be much help but I would hunt the timber, have confidence, and keep telling yourself that things are getting crazy right now and the bucks are traveling more. Hunt the travel corridors and you will get the opportunity. Just my .02.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not familiar with Thornville. I am a flatlander. Here in flat country, I don't have a lot of woods so I find the pinch points. If the bucks are out searching, then I want to be in an area where the highest percentage of bucks are going to pass thru. I would have to imagine there is a similar spot where you hunt. Find it, and plant your butt there as much as you can. Best "generic" advice I can think to give a guy grasping for suggestions.

epe

Lancaster
I have seen on in both places....I have seen plenty of big bucks in open fields around Baltimore during the rut.. But if it was me I would hunt the bedding area, downwind, try to catch bucks scent checking the area for does...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I wouldn't rule out field edges. Over the last 5 days, I have seen three 130+ bucks on field edges, one in the morning, and two in the evening. Both in the evening were with more than a half an hour left of shooting light, and all three were checking and freshening scrapes. Now, that is in my area, things are most likely different where you are. Field edges can be boring for all day sits, and I prefer them in the evenings. If I were you, and didn't feel confident in my morning spot, I would try to situate myself close to good cover, and hang out all day. You might just catch a buck cruising through looking to bump up a doe! Good luck!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I myself prefer (only if wind is right) to sit in the edge of the thick stuff next to a field edge (feeding area). I try to sit about 15-25 yds into the timber, but keep a shot to the edge open also. Seems a lot of the bucks cruise through in the cover but still close enough to smell what is in the field.
I know the Thornville area a little bit. I'm just North of Dawe's Arboretum...........You've got some good ones running around there. Hope it all comes together for you soon.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
For what it's worth - you may SEE more deer on the edge of a field, but if you're on a travel corridor in the timber IF you see something it will be within bow range.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I've moved away from "watching" deer on a field edge, unless it is a scrape line or a known travel path, and moved more towards hunting in the woods in travel paths or in between bedding and food source. I used to see a lot of deer, but rarely get deer within bow range. Now I would rather not see as many and have a better opportunity of getting them within 30 yards.

Best of luck with whatever setup you go with and keep us posted with your results!

Lundy

Ok so I have put 30 plus hours in the stand in the last 3 days. Feel like im just wasting my time here. I have only seen one shooter and passed up on a 130 eight point. .

There are a lot of bowhunters that would like to have your problem.:)

Last edited: