Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So close...

huntn2

Hudson, OH
A big almost for me tonight. Had 1 of 3 bigboys that Alphamax and I have pics of come in @ 4:15 tonight. He was going to offer me two windows of opportunity @ 30 yards. I tried to stop him in the 1st lane with no luck and I absolutely panicked knowing I only had one more 18" wide chance to get a shot at him.

A much louder bleat got him to stop perfectly at which time I flat out failed to exexute...in my panic, I quickly punched the trigger on my release all the while realizing I didn't hold high enough for my 30 yard pin. I missed clean low...

Inexperience (1st arrow I have let fly at a buck and only 2nd arrow ever), and the biggest buck I have seen while hunting got the better of me. I must learn (quickly) to take my time, take a breath and settle that pin.

He ran about 30 yards and then just walked off. Here is to learning from tonight and praying he revisits the scrape he put down in front of my stand during daylight either tomorrow or Friday.

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
Its completely "normal" to rush a shot....Your mind set is that you have to get an arrow out there before he bolts....That is something that comes with time....To be honest...I still havent learned that patience yet... It is amazing how much time you truly have.....Hey, atleast you got to see him ...... You now know how excited you can truly get..... Its an amazing feeling and I am glad you got to experience it.....You can not simulate that feeling and that moment.... No matter how much you do and try.... Next time an opportunity arises all you can do is hope you remember to take your time....To this day, I rarely remember to take my time...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Like I told ya this eveing buddy, keep your head up. Things are getting crazy in the woods right now, and bucks are getting brave/dumb, you will get another chance. We all have went through a bad case of buck fever, and the best thing you can do is draw, take a deep breath and focus on the important stuff. The rest will come together and instincts will take over and you will finally connect! Good luck out there buddy!

Ricer2231

Great experience! Don't get me wrong because I am by no means an expert, but one thing I have learned from my misses is that if you do happen to get another opportunity at this buck it will be like it is something personal next time. I have missed deer in my years of hunting and that is one thing I have noticed when I got second chances its like you say to yourself" ok big boy you got one over on me the first time and things are gonna be different this time". And believe it or not it makes me take that deep breath and most importantly of all it helps me to pick a spot and "squeeze"that release. Like I said though I definitely no expert, just my .02.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I still get the urge to rush. It isn't an easy thing to over come. But, one thing I've done for years is to purposely look at how pretty that glowing sight looks on the side of the deer. Seriously, it's stupid in print, but you work really hard to get that opportunity so enjoy the view of that sight right where you want it. Next thing you know, your arrow zips through him right where the pin is. It's a heck of trick to get over little bouts of target panic too.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That feeling sucks man. Been there and done that myself lol. The more time you get under your belt and more close encounters you can get will help too. The best thing I did to rid myself of the fever was to get a buck 3-D target and practice. Now when a buck is in front of me the only thing I see in my mind is the target. Now after the shot is an entirely different story lol. My knees knock and get weak so I have to sit down and gain my thoughts but dang if it ain't fun lol.

Keep at it man. It will all come together and you will get one of these Ohio bucks on the ground with that bow buddy.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Ryan, I told you to sit in my stand. That way you wouldn't have seen anything and you wouldn't be upset lol. Like everyone has said and I told you tonight. It happens to everyone. Youre a great hunter and will drop one soon!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am also far from an expert. Last few years I have tried to tag as many deer with my bow as possible. Only thing that has helped me is shooting as many as I can. Awwww shit, I forgot who I was talking to. You NEVER see deer from the stand Ryan. Now I don't have any advice to offer.

Too soon?

Sorry man. I am going to echo Kaiser. I am glad you got to feel that rush! Keep after them buddy!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Keep at it......There's two kinds of people who missed.....Those that did and those that lie about it.:tantrum: It will all come together soon for ya. Good Luck Buddy.

Huckleberry Finn

Happens to all of us...

It's all about learning. I was shaking last week getting ready to draw on a ditch tiger, but I was cool as ice with a spike at 5 yards. All about the moment, controlling, your breathing, etc.

Getting closer bud!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No matter how much experience, the misses will still come. Like I told ya earlier, We all do it.
Hang in there man. Keep that confidence up.
It helps me to talk to myself. Talk yourself into a good shot.
"I've got one shot. Make it count."

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I am also far from an expert. Last few years I have tried to tag as many deer with my bow as possible. Only thing that has helped me is shooting as many as I can. Awwww shit, I forgot who I was talking to. You NEVER see deer from the stand Ryan. Now I don't have any advice to offer.

Too soon?

Sorry man. I am going to echo Kaiser. I am glad you got to feel that rush! Keep after them buddy!

He may not see a ton of deer from the stand, but at least he can still shoot a buck on the farm he hunts! BTW, how's that working out for you these days Phil? rotflmao

TOO soon?

:smiley_couch:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He may not see a ton of deer from the stand, but at least he can still shoot a buck on the farm he hunts! BTW, how's that working out for you these days Phil? rotflmao

TOO soon?

:smiley_couch:

Nah. Not TOO soon. If I couldn't take it, I wouldn't have shared it. Sometimes we do dumb shit in life. lmao

I am happy to hear about the rest of you guys chasing them down. Ryan's action in the woods today and Alphamax connecting is awesome in my book. The amount of bucks you are seeing is awesome. I am rooting for all my TOOzer friends!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Glad to hear that you had a good encounter that got you shaking in your boots. Wish the outcome could have been a little different for you though. It is amazing how quickly the adrenaline gets flowing once you see a big one. Keep at it and don't let it bother you, you will get one soon enough.