Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A struggle

Kaiser878

ohio
I have a personal rule for myself while deer hunting... I set my minimum to 140...but this year I have a deer that is really making me want to break that rule...I just have a hard time shooting a deer that is only 10 inches wide....But for some reason I think this deer is just bad ass......He has some gnarly bases on him

at1010

*Supporting Member*
wow is that a nice problem to have! I think he would be a sweet mount!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'd shoot him. Just like a 140" buck isn't your everyday buck this is a buck that isn't your everyday buck. Only shoot him if YOUR happy with him though. Regret and the what IF's are horrible things.

Kaiser878

ohio
That's a tough choice how old do you think he is.if you think he will stick around let him walk but that's easier said than done.

Im really not sure...He looks to be 4....but who knows...Hes already been given 1 free ride.... He def has some swagger to him in the woods

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Im really not sure...He looks to be 4....but who knows...Hes already been given 1 free ride.... He def has some swagger to him in the woods

I can see you eating a tag and let someone else be happy. If you have doubts now you will after you shoot it...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Neat rack Zach, as long as you have no regrets later I say to for it.

Anyone else notice the hole in his left rear ham? Gored or arrowed?

dangerousoldman

interesting rack but dropping that string ends your season....your choice but gotta wonder what he will be next year if he lives to see next year.....i rarely regret passing one up because I enjoy my time in the woods if I am hunting with a purpose. I kinda have the same thought process going on except the rack isnt really unique. I have a trail cam pic of one I called the Boss. Prolly score in the 180s or so but there is a number of 130 to 140ish bucks on the farm. Havent really had opps at any of them but thinking I will prolly pass on them this year if given the chance. I love the idea of knowing there is one well worth trying for and if I dont get the chance at least I gave it a try. The minute I drop a string on another buck my season is over. If I end the season without another set of decent horns in the garage I wont really regret it. But if I have an opp at something like the Boss, then I will never forget it.

Lundy

I think he is young but that is just my opinion.

Up to you but I'm guessing if you take him you might always wonder "what if" you had let him go to see what next years brings, but I guess you already are wondering that or we would be looking at a harvest picture:)

Good luck no matter which way you decide.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I can see you eating a tag and let someone else be happy. If you have doubts now you will after you shoot it...

honestly that is probably the best advice one could give, I know cause Ive pulled the trigger, and been on the upset end!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Tough call Zach. He is very unique but also very different from any buck I have seen pics of you with over the years.

I know I would be shooting and I would have a hell of a smile on my face. I have a feeling you would have a straight face. If you believe you would be happy and smiling walking up to him than let it rip.

Hell of a problem to have...

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Give him the pass or you'll kick your ass! I know your standards and you will regret this guy once a 140"+ shows up later in the year.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good problem to have for sure. I'd guess him at around 3.5 and if he were to walk by me I'd be drawing back. But I've changed my perspective on things based on obligations outside of the woods so I don't see myself having as much seat time this season as I've had in the past. Bottom line is that I'd be happy with the decision and wouldn't have to think about it. If I'm thinking, and second guessing, then I'm not shooting. Good luck Zach!!