Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

deer.size

matty636

mville
how many people have seen a buck that would field dress 300 lbs ? i came across a new property first buck i seen absolute pig bout 26 28 spread10 12high and all mass

matty636

mville
i will try to get a pick up of a buck my buddy shot the night after on the same property its self is a dandy but the one still lurking makes it look small

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have never seen a deer that would be close to 300lb, field dresse. We used to process deer. I have had literally hundreds of deer in my shop. The largest deer that has ever been hung in there was 220ish field dressed...and he was much larger than any other. Most really, really big deer will weigh at or just under 200 gutted. Just Saturday morning I saw what I believe to be the first 300lb LIVE WEIGHT deer I have ever seen. That would have put him somewhere around 230-240 gutted.

dangerousoldman

I shot one in 08 that was the largest bodied deer I have ever been associated with. The processor said it wieghed right at 240 after I field dressed it. To this day they still ask me about that hugh deer I shot whenever I take another deer to them. I did not weigh it but they said they did. It was absolutely a pig. I dont think I would ever want to try to drag one out any bigger. almost killed two of us for a 200 yd drag....

matty636

mville
we already have planned that if he gets harvested the only thing gettin him out is a fourwheeler and hes going to the mill to get weighed

RUT NUT

The buck I shot last year weighed 263 pounds after I gutted him. The processor said that in the 30+ years he has been cutting up deer....that was by far the biggest bodied he had seen. He said that he guaranteed the buck was over 300 pounds on the hoof. One thing I know for certain is....I would have never got that deer out of the woods if my best friend wouldn't have helped me. Haha! It took everything the both of us had to do so!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Check out the buck Pat Reeve killed at buck paradise... But by the sounds of the buck you are talking about you have a world record class buck running around.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I've shot several bucks that dressed between 201 and 211 pounds, but my 2006 buck dressed 247 lbs....he was legitimately close to 300 on the hoof. A 300 pounder gutted would seem very rare.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The only thing I regret about this deer was not putting him on a scale. Jd can attest it was all we could do to get one end in my Colorado and roll the other half in. I am 5''11. 201 btw. The bottom half of his back leg was as big as my forearm.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352164747.097017.jpg

Last edited:

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
My buck 2 years ago weighed in at 256 field dressed.. I was just glad that I shot him at the house and had a convertable dolly/flatbed cart to put him on to get him out. I dont have a pic of his body on my phone but I will look on my computer later.. here is the only pic that I have on my phone.. if you zoom in the pic on the mount you can kinda see part of his body..

uploadfromtaptalk1352165695055.jpg

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
The only thing I regret about this deer was not putting him on a scale. Jd can attest it was all we could do to get one end in my Colorado and roll the other half in. I am 5''11. 201 btw. The bottom half of his back leg was as big as my forearm.

View attachment 11042

I wasn't really putting much effort into it... I didn't wanna hurt my back.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
supposedly a whitetail taken by Carl. J Lenander from Minnesota. With a weight of 402 lbs. field dressed and an estimated live weight of 511 lbs! Just goes to show how big MN Bucks are...

Just a little research info........

Lundy

View attachment 11042

That deer is huge. I've killed and seen my share of Ohio deer over the years and I have never seen a deer bigger than this one based on the picture.

Matty636,

Sounds like his rack on your big deer, from your description, must weigh over 25lbs.:) Looking forward to some harvest pictures

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Check out the buck Pat Reeve killed at buck paradise... But by the sounds of the buck you are talking about you have a world record class buck running around.

The one picture I read said 400ish? Sound right? The body was huge. I just didn't know if it was legit or not.

My first deer was a monster. Processor claims 300 on the hoof. I don't know. I had nothing to compare it to. He was freaking huge. I am certain there are bigger out there though. Makes me wonder about what the processor told me.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A buck killed in Ohio that weighs over 200 pounds field dressed is a huge buck. Anything over 220 gutted is one of very few. Over 250 is an anomaly. We have them but as rare as a 200"net typical.

A buddy killed a buck 6-7 years ago that was 304 on the hoof and it dressed near 265. Took 3 of us and a quad just to hoist him up on block and tackle!lol