Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Why not to hunt during high winds........

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
This would have hurt.... I found this limb extending through the seat of my ladder stand on Saturday. It came from another tree about five yards away but somehow flipped around and came straight down through the grates a few inches. After I pulled the limb out, I had to stand on the seat to push the now pointy metal prongs back down so I could sit down. At least I wasn't in the tree at the time!

Attachments

• 021-2.jpg
    021-2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 127

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
holy CRAP!
Glad you weren't there
And yeah, I left the woods early a couple weeks ago after a small branch landed in my lap...I'da hated to have that one spear me!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'll tell you what, the dead ash trees are falling and breaking like crazy. There are a ton in all of the woods I hunt. A damn shame too.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Another reason I gave up looking for that doe a couple weeks ago. The winds were crazy, branches were falling. I got the fugg out of dodge.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
If I wouldn't of moved the reconyx it would of got smashed last week by a huge dead elm. The tree the cam was hanging on is under it...lol

badger

*Supporting Member*
Those widow makers are serious shit!

I got caught in a major storm in Northern Quebec years ago that had me shitting bricks. The cedar trees around me were snapping like twigs. I was perched in a 15 foot tripod that wasn't on the most level of ground. Some of the gusts were forcing the front leg a few inches off the ground. That happened two or three times before I climbed down. My buddy had dropped me off and was hunting a few miles away so I had no truck to go to. I ended up getting under an old blow down to ride it out. It was some scary stuff!