Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

High standard gunsmith

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Anyone know of any High Standard gunsmiths here in Ohio that they would recommend? Having some problems with one of my father's pistols and its beyond my knowledge base.

I would load a magazine, chamber a round and fire, the slide would cycle, spent round would eject and new round would feed. However the problem is that the hammer/firing pin/trigger did not reset. If I manually hand cycled the pistol it would fire, but it did not fire more than one round on its own. I've also had some issues with the extractor prior to this so I'd like a smith to look it over.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Whitetail Gunsmithing

323 N. Mt. Vernon Ave.
Loudonville,Ohio 44842
419-994-4919

He usually has a wait but I have never heard anything bad about the guy.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Why not try High Standard?
http://www.highstandard.com/services.html#repair

Any good 'smith should have no problems fixing a HS.

The reason is because that is not the same High Standard as when the pistol was produced. High Standard pistols have had I believe at least 3 locations, 2 in CT and the most recent current one in Tx. The new guns are good but the old ones can compete with any 22 target pistol out there. I would rather take it to someone who knows High Standards for the same reason that any 'smith can fix a 1911 but a dedicated 1911 'smith potentially knows the platform better.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just sounds like it is not moving far enough back to cock it for the next shot but enough to eject and pic up the first round. Just to cover all bases have you tore it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I tore it apart as far as I feel comfortable. Removed the barrel, removed slide and cleaned all the parts I can get to from there. I then lubricate the slide and rails with the same lubes I use on my other pistols.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
What model HS is it? Most had the barrel fixed into the frame.

Supermatic Citation similar to this image:

If you look in front of the trigger guard, just below the barrel you will see a "button". If you push this button in it releases the barrel.