Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dead mornings

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Man, these last few morning have been dead. If you see deer its first lite then nothing e. Evening has been good but with these temps this time of yr I would expect more .

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Man, these last few morning have been dead. If you see deer its first lite then nothing e. Evening has been good but with these temps this time of yr I would expect more .

I was out running around from daylight til dark yesterday expecting some day time movement, and I didn't see much of anything after 8:30 AM. High in the low 40's Low in the high 20's today, you would think the big boys would be on their feet all day long.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I have hunted every morning since last Thursday. Its been miserable . I only got skunked yesterday but its looking like today is gonna be a skunk. All my buddies are seeing pretty much the same thing. First lite or nothing for the most part.

gavennn

I have been stuck in the office. My buddy i hunt with has been out all week. He has only been seeing deer in the evening. We hunt licking County.

gavennn

Well im off for 5 days starting Friday. I hope this is the week they start the trekking.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, it has everything to do with "being in the right spot". Ron and I always say, "It's happening somewhere" when we're not seeing or hearing shit during this time. As a matter of fact, he just texted me 15 minutes ago from his treestand and said he is seeing and hearing some awesome rutting activity about 150-200 yards away right now. He is presently set up near a real thick draw choked with honeysuckle and briars which is a bedding area. He's in the right place but just waiting on the right buck to work his way up to him. We'll see...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It's been so long since I've seen the moon I had to look at the calendar. Full moon was the 29th so we are a week out from it. What does anyone think the effect, if any, the moon has on deer movement?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I saw 11 deer Saturday morning. The moon was just past being overhead when first shooting light was. Only saw one buck Sunday morning.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Well the only decent morning i had wad sat. So far yesterday and today sucked. I got down today and im going to be sitting in a totally diff. spot. I know its happening, i saw some chasing above me but they disapeared back to the back. So thats where ill be tonight. Hopefully ill see a difference in movement.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This morning, I had a really nice one cross the road ahead of me & then just stood there as I slowed by. While on stand for 4 hrs, I didn't see anything. After I got home & checked my cards, a small buck ... but a buck, walked by while I wasn't there yesterday am. I'm gonna try my ground blind out behind the house for this evening & tomorrow morning ... my truck is tired of driving me without any results.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have hunted every morning since last Thursday. Its been miserable . I only got skunked yesterday but its looking like today is gonna be a skunk. All my buddies are seeing pretty much the same thing. First lite or nothing for the most part.

Me too...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've only been hunting the mornings and have seen deer every morning until I climbed out of the stand. I can see a LONG ways from my stands, and many of the deer were at a distance, but I've been seeing them. I took Mason out last night and we saw 5, two of which were bucks. They all showed up in the last hour, but we didn't arrive in the stand until after 4. Just hang with it, if they aren't there today, they may be tomorrow.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
All I seen was a 130in. 8pt. at 9:30am,,he was about 100yds. away hit the grunt tube about 4X and bang right there at 15yds.,,he was a big body deer just didn't have the rack to go with it

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Driving to and from Licking county from Allen county I saw zero road kill. I did see a coyote in the median last night between Columbus and Marysville. Alive, not dead.

Just road scouted locally and saw nothing. Lots of standing corn. My money is on the corn right now in regards to where they are. I can't speak for other areas, but around here corn usually wins the battle.

While hunting Licking I.would say the bucks were moving but the activity was not "full blown" yet. One morning I had 3 bucks trail a doe into a thicket and some youngsters mill around later. Next morning I had a spike and probably 130s buck come out mid morning at 65yds. That evening I had chasing behind me in a thicket but could only see brown and flashes of white with branches breaking and deer playing cat and mouse.

It is happening, but I don't think it is full bore yet. Nothing like 10 to 2pm bucks wandering lost with their tongues hanging out quite yet.